We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea Lagoonarium

San Diego...
Level Contributor
379 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
Moorea Lagoonarium

Headed to Moorea next month staying at the Hilton for 5 nights. I have an excursion doing the ray feeding and Motu picnic already included. Is the Lagoonarium worth doing?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

Yes it is worth it. We went in May for honeymoon and liked the Lagoonarium a little more than the Excursion. The Lagoonarium we had so much snorkeling to do and went right around feeding time. But the excursion give you more of the island feel because you'll have lunch on a private motu, where there will be music and singing. As well as GREAT food and drinks! My trip review is here on T.A also. On the excursion we saw primarily rays with the occasional shark, not many fish. At the Lagoonarium we saw so many rays, sharks, and fishes, plus feeding time was awesome around the Sharks! Check out our trip video on YouTube. Search "Honeymoon Sofitel Moorea - John & Vanessa". Excursion video are around 1:30 and Lagoonarium around 1:45. Hope this helps. Safe travels.

Edited: 2:57 am, August 13, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
75 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

Yes, Loved it and going back again

Also the Hilton is amazing. You will love it and barely want to leave

Edited: 12:38 pm, August 13, 2017
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
210 reviews
133 helpful votes
3. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

We stayed at the Hilton 3 weeks ago before our cruise and went to the lagoonararium. We've been to Moorea 5 times and this was our first visit to the lagoonararium. I would only recommend this if you get there when it first opens. It is situated on a small motu, and I mean small. There is an adjacent motu that they told us we could not enter. They have about 8 covered huts that supposedly are first come first serve. If you don't get one there is virtually no shade and no place to sit.

They have a small food setup with a few chairs but it is uncomfortable and really really hot. The have ropes in the water that are needed at some spots as the current can be fierce. Just hanging on to the rope at some locations was tough. My wife said she would rather explode than use the disgusting bathroom.

The good part is the variety of fish is spectacular. If you can get there early enough to secure some shade I would go for it.

Edited: 4:07 pm, August 13, 2017
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
29 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

We arrived just after opening to the Lagoonarium and did receive one of the huts mentioned. That was a nice surprise as we had a sheltered place to put our things, change, and have some shade. The facilities were very clean during our visit, but it was not too busy. Even though we had that space, it wasn't secured so we always take things like our keys and credit card with us. We have a two layer waterproof pouch and waterproof thin fanny-like pack that goes around my waist to protect those valuables when snorkelling. Anyways, it's also true that the current is very very strong. There are ropes to hold yourself steady as you move along. We were determined to head out towards the barrier reef and as you get closer the current becomes intense. I had some rope burn on my hands and arms. Although of course you could stay closer to the entrance in calmer waters if you aren't up for that part of the adventure. It's also true that the fish life, rays and sharks were amazing.

HOWEVER... I want to mention they participate in shark feeding (illegal in FP). This would explain why there was so much ocean life, as they are coming for the daily feedings. I did not know this until we were there, and did not return over our month in Moorea due to the shark feedings. Perhaps they may claim it was accidental due to the close proximity of the ray feeding, however, I witnessed them throwing food directly to the sharks. At one point very very close to us. My concern is that not only is this not good for the sharks, it is an accident waiting to happen. Despite the organization, facilities, and beautiful sea life observed, I personally would not return for this reason. While travelling the islands, I try as best I can to support operators respecting the rules and the nature. For example, Dr. Poole's Dolphin tours or some of the wonderful other local boat tours that take you snorkelling.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
323 posts
51 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

How is the Lagoonarium compared to snorkeling in other FP islands? Like Tahaa, Bora Bora, Maupiti and Tikehau for example.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
210 reviews
133 helpful votes
6. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

I've snorkeled in many of the other islands. If you are snorkeling in the areas you have mentioned then the lagoonarium is not that special. Many of the other islands offer a snorkel with rays. Read my comments as I think there are a number of negatives with the lagoonarium

Chino Hills...
Level Contributor
255 posts
90 reviews
57 helpful votes
7. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

I also am dismayed by all the posts talking about feeding the fish. Such a bad idea - bad for the fish and for the water and coral. Does anyone monitor this at all?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
210 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

They feed the fish twice each day. When we were there the person who drove the boat to the motu from shore was also the person in the water who spent at least 1 hour feeding the fish and rays. For this reason there is a 90 minute period when you can't leave the motu as,the boat is not in operation. This was from about 11:30 - 1:00 pm.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
396 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

We sailed many islands of Tahiti for a week. We started at Raiatea, then Taha'a and then on to Bora Bora before returning to Raiatea. After our sailing trip, we went to Moorea for 4 days.

All I can tell you is that the snorkeling at the Lagoonarium was AMAZING!!!! I we better than anything we saw on our sailing trip and we went to the best places where only private boats can go. I wish I could go back to Moorea and just spend every day at the Lagoonarium. #2 best snorkeling was in Taha'a - drift snorkel. It was also out of this world!

I was so disappointed in the party boats I saw in Bora Bora. Not only were the guides feeding the sea life. They were standing on the coral as they were doing it. I about died when I saw it.

I didn't even attend the feedings at the Lagoonarium in Moorea - I was too busy snorkeling the reef...and just to be clear, he was not feeding the sharks. The reef and sea life snorkeling area is probably 3 football fields large. You couldn't do it all in one day. I'm a strong swimmer so I went all the way out of the reef until the current wouldn't let me go any further. All of the animals are free to come and go. They are not penned up like they are at the "Lagoonarium" on Bora Bora.

My only regret is that we didn't "discover" the Lagoonarium until our last day there so we couldn't go back for a 2nd visit.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
10. Re: Moorea Lagoonarium

What time should we get there to get one of those huts? Is the lagoonarium at the Hilton? We have a garden bungalow at the Hilton for 3 days. I like that the animals are not enclosed here.