We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange - Australia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange - Australia

Hi all,

I have read many of the currency related posts on this forum, but most are talking about US/USD. Could someone help me on the best way for getting currency in Australia?

Also I have few other questions:

1. If I am getting the currency exhanged at the ATM at Tahiti Airport, do I need to have AUD or USD or TCs or I simply withdraw from ATM? In case of ATM, do I need to have Credit Card (MasterCard) or I have to use my bank debit card/ EFTPOS?

2. I reach Tahiti airport at 12 midnight, what are the chances the bank counter will open then?

3. Will above be same for any other banks in Tahiti or other Islands - Moorea, Huahine, BB?

4. Can I get TCs in Brisbane, Australia? from where?

It would be great if someone can shed some light. I am leaving in 4 days!!!!!!

Thanks,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Hi there, get to your bank (or local Post Office) and order XPF today - urgent!

By memory, you can use your Visa (Debit) Card at the ATMs and you will get XPF but we like to have at least some currency before we leave home.

Don't forget to notify your bank that you will be in Tahiti otherwise none of your cards will work.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Hey thanks, I have notified the bank so one thing taken care of.

I checked with many currency exchange counters. The best rate I am getting is 76.2 for AUD, which is better than what CBA is offering.

Should I check with Post Office? How about TCs?

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

At the ATM you can withdraw cash using either Credit Card (MasterCard) or your my bank debit card/ EFTPOS. Chances of the bank counter at airport being open are probably zero. We did not take any xpf cash with us prior to leaving and just withdrew from the ATM when we got to the airport (which was after midnight). There are 2 ATMS at the airport. If one is empty the other should still have cash.

Edited: 2:24 am, October 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

The post office doesn't carry XPF according to their website.

I think that's a pretty poor exchange rate and u can do better from resort reception.

Edited: 2:51 am, October 21, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Okay thanks for this info, it is turning to resolve things for me little bit.

I'll exchange some cash to have at least some back up, and exchange rest using my MasterCard at the airport ATM. I also have Capital One Credit Card so that can be more efficient way to exchange.

I will also take some TCs in AUD, in case they are required.

Is someone aware that AUD cash or AUD TCs are accepted in Tahiti, or it has to be USD/Euro?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Not sure about TC...but AUD is accepted when exchanging to XPF.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Ia Orana

Be aware that there might be a maximum amount that you can get in the ATM Per week ( $ 300 / $ 500 USD) for some banks.

pay by cc as much as you can and keep the cash for the small amounts. Also do enquire with your bank / credit card company whether they will charge any foreign transaction fees by using your credit card. those pesky 3% fees add up quickly on a bill.

meherio

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Thanks all,

I have taken some XPF cash and some AUD TCs. And will carry Capital One credit card. Hope this should keep me stocked up!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

hi all, 2 more quick questions:

1. If I use credit card to withdraw from the Tahiti Airport ATM machine, wouldn't have to start paying interest on cash withdrawls at some excessive rates immediately starting from date of withdrawal?

2. What will give me better exchange rate - converting using cash in Tahiti from a bank and then paying, or paying for purchases directly through credit card?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency exchange - Australia

Hi NuTraveller

I can't specifically help with Tahiti.

There are a few good money changers in Brisbane, I particularly find UAE at the bottom of Lennons Hotel to be the best exchange rate.

I avoid any cash advance fees by having a 28degrees mastercard and pay no international fees.