We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Tahiti?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Tahiti?

hi all - it's very open ended question - sorry abt that...but was wondering if there is much to do in Tahiti main island itself?

We r in FP for about 10-11 days and are spending 6-7 in BB,3 in Moorea and planning to spend 2 nights in Tahiti? Do you think it's worth considering.

I would go to another island but cost is a factor!

Please advise!!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do in Tahiti?

Dear SheaG-

Thank you for your feedback on the comparison between Oahu and Tahiti ....your description of Honolulu is spot on (it is exactly how my husband and I see it as well). We do love the Hawaiian islands and it was that comparison that I was trying to find out about and whether 2 days would be enough time to see Papeete.

Based on what you say, I recognize, for certain, that Papeete is going to be in a different category of "busy", which, again, is not a negative thing....just different. This certainly helps us with our planning.

Greatly appreciate your feedback (and that of Shully's too!).

We are very much looking forward to our visit to the French Polynesian islands (Tahiti and Bora Bora on this trip only....perhaps other islands in the future).

Kind regards,

Linda

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do in Tahiti?

Linda. Trust me the day trip to Moorea will be so worth it. Moorea is beautiful!!!!!!

We spent three days on Tahiti on the back end of our FP vacation. We did the circle island tour as well as the 4x4 trip into "inner" Tahiti. It was awesome!!! Loved the 4x4 trip. We even found time to check out the market.

I really do suggest to do Moorea for a day trip. You are going that far already so why not? It's an easy ferry ride. We stayed five nights on Moorea before heading to Bora Bora for a four day stay at the St Regis. We still dream of Moorea.... Yes, it's that's nice :-)

Enjoy paradise!!!!

Kauai
Level Contributor
117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do in Tahiti?

On a couple of trips I have spent a week on Tahiti In the Teahupoo area ( I am a surf Mom) we took the bus down and stayed in small Pensions. Honestly found it to be less touristy than Moorea or certainly Bora Bora. It's like comparing the North shore of Oahu to Honolulu. The people on the bus were great, all locals. We realized a trip to town is quite an excursion, especially if you need to take a boat ride to get the rest of the way home. I am also a Hawaii resident, couldn't live in Honolulu but enjoy the visit, that's how I feel about Papeete. I plan to spend a couple of days there, because it has some fun things to do. I'm also going to Maupiti and Moorea.

United States
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do in Tahiti?

Le Marche and the market. Great fun, near centralized shopping and yummy bakeries. Even the ferry is right there. I actually love that part of Tahiti!

15. Re: What to do in Tahiti?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 19, 2015