We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Moorea

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Moorea

Does anyone know if any touring companies offer excursions to Moorea for the day from location on Tahiti? We are staying two days in Tahiti at the beginning of our trip and are then going to Bora Bora for the remainder. I thought it might be nice to do something like this so that we could maybe experience some of Moorea as well.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Moorea

I'm sure most of the excursion companies on Moorea would be glad to pick you up at the Moorea ferry dock and return you there, if your schedule of arrival and departure coincides with their excursion schedule. Try searches for Moorea Explorer, Albert Tours, and Torea Nui Tours, for a start.

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Moorea

Alright, do you have any idea how one would go about arranging transportation to and from the Moorea ferry dock? Are there public ferries that transport people between Moorea and Tahiti multiple times a day?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Moorea

www.arenui.net will give you the ferry schedule

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Moorea

If you are doing this as a day trip consider renting a car on Tahiti and taking it on the ferry. You need to check with your rental company to make sure this is allowed and also the cost of the ferry with the car. You would probably need a taxi to get you to/from the ferry dock and then add on the cost of the tour on Moorea. The rental car may provide added options.

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Moorea

Thanks Medic, that is definitely something to consider.

Would any of you be able to recommend what to do on Moorea if you were only there one day? Right now I'm thinking either the dolphin center (fiancee would love that) or maybe an ATV tour.

Boston...
Level Contributor
543 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Moorea

Two recommendations:

By far my favorite tour was the lagoon tour and motu picnic. I used Hiro tours and they will pick you up. The Lagoon is incredible and must be seen by boat. First stop is a stingray feeding in waist deep water. The guide will give you some fish bits to feed the stingrays with. They are the puppy dogs of the sea. Next stop is a different area where the guide will feed the reef sharks. Guests hang onto a rope to watch from a little further away. This is not for people afraid of fish because the sharks will swim right in front of you. The motu picnic includes some lunch and rum punch. Or you can spend your time swimming & snorkeling.

My other recommendation is a circle island tour.

Cook's Bay

Sofitel- view of the bungalows in turquoise water

Belvedere Lookout- Cook's & Opanuhu bays from inland

Fruit Juice factory & free liquor samples

Opanuhu Bay

Another good option is an off-road tour. You would see Belvedere Lookout, the juice factory and more of the island interior. Last stop is Magic Mountain where you can view Cook's Bay from high up.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Moorea

Which circle island tour do you recommend, FarAwayTraveler?

Boston...
Level Contributor
543 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Moorea

I went with Moorea Explorer. Albert Tours also offers the same trip. It's a 4-hour tour. In my experience, this one shows the most of Moorea.

The 4 wheel drive tour focuses more on the interior. It does go to Belvedere Lookout and then spends more time in the Opanuhu Valley where you can see the pineapple plantation.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Moorea

We did an ATV tour with ATV Tours Moorea and absolutely loved it. Our guide was excellent and we got a wonderful tour of Moorea's lush interior plus great lagoon views. If you are going to do a land tour, make sure it goes to Magic Mountain - the photo I took from there is my screen saver at work as the view is stunningly beautiful. :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Moorea

What kind of vehicle was the 4-wheel-drive tour in? I ask because riding sideways or in the back of a pickup truck is a non-starter for us. We don't need cushy but have to be in real seats.

Get answers to your questions about Tahiti