We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

I would be interested in finding out the major differences between the two cruises. There is a substantial difference in price between the two for exactly the same lenght of time ie. 10 nights. For instance I have heard that on the Paul Gauguin its all inclusive drinks and all. While on Ocean Princess if I want some wine with my meal or a drink in the evening at the bar I will have to pay?

Any information would be appreciated.

Aurel

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

Hi Aurel - I'm surprised no one has responded to this so I'll help a bit. While I've not been on the PG, I have been on Princess's cruise when it was the Tahitian Princess. Though I covet the dream of going on the more intimate PG. The PG cruises often "include" air fare - something to be aware of as you can usually get a credit for not doing the air. Many people have their own FF miles they use for such trips, for instance. The PG includes gratuities, wine with meals and a bar set up in your cabin. Cabins tend to be larger than a standard Princess cabin and are nicely appointed with upgraded linens etc. The PG ship is much smaller, the food of higher quality and is a little more sedate maybe? There are no formal nights. They have a platform from which you can take off for water activities. Also a private motu where food and drinks are inclusive. I've read the service is top notch on the ship. Also, being small, it will likely cruise closer to the islands when possible. With Princess, everything is a la carte. The PG offers round trip air from LAX, post cruise tour & day room at the Intercontinental are included in the fare. They also include a pre-cruise LAX hotel for east coast travelers to break up their long flight. There's good info on the cruisecritic.co. website also. Either way - it's a fantastic cruise. I've been twice - once on Renaissance and once on the Tahitian Princess. I'm eager to go again.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

I've done the Princess cruise twice, loved them both but you are nickeled & dimed. This December we are taking the PG and are looking forward to it. Beyond what was previously posted above I would add that after extensive searching the other thing the PG has over Princess is the 'Tahitian feel'. The ship/crew really focus on French Polynesia so if your wanting to have that Polynesian feel you might want to go on the PG.

3. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:47 am, February 25, 2015
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

This isn't an issue between these two ships as both can go into the bays on the islands they frequent.

Lexington, Ky.
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

Take the www.arunui.com if you can afford the price and 14 days.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

I have been on the Paul Gauguin and one could say it was a once in a lifetime experience. Even the least expensive cabin was very nicely appointed. All drinks are included and there is a well stocked minibar in your cabin (included), there is Tahitian entertainment on the ship (i.e. you get to listen to Tahitian songs being performed as the ship glides past Bora Bora as the sun sets (cocktail in hand). The service is second to none, the experience is a fairly intimid one and getting on and off the ship is usually very quick. The motu day at their own little island is very pleasant. Food, entertainment and kayaks are provided on Motu Mahana. I have been on a few cruises (never a very large ship) and am looking at doing another Paul Gauguin cruise next year (once in a lifetime is not enough!). I travel on average 3 to 4 times a year and can honestly say that being on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti was by far the most memorable experience. If you have any specific questions I am happy to try and answer them.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

I have done the Paul Gauguin as well and was very impressed. It's a small ship compared to the other cruise ships and may not be as "spectacular" but the quality and service are out of this world, 6 stars! The food is excellent and they offer nice excursions, including the picnic at their private motu in Taha'a. I highly recommend it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

i have cruised twice with princess on their 10 night french polynesia cruise. I had an amazing time. The service on princess was wonderful. I work in hospitality so know amazing service when i experience it! as far i i see it, unless you are planning on drinking alot of alcohol, i dont think that the larger cost of the paul gauguin is worth it. Also the princess goes out to Rangiroa, which is absolutly beautiful. amazing sea life, the purist blue water on earth and wonderful snorkling/diving. i would do the princess just for the fact that it goes out to rangiroa.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

The PG also has cruises that go to Rangiroa as well as other cruises that go to other island groups including the Cooks, Fuji, Samoa and the Australes.

The PG appears to have better food, more freebie tours, no tipping & free bar. Those goodiesw add up to at least $1000 for a couple of 2 plus I know the Tahitan feel will be experienced much more on the PG.

Again I loved my 2 cruises on Princess in French Polynesia but from what I've gleaned we are4 in for a real treat on the PG. I might add that the price I'm paying for the 11 night PG cruise is very similar to what wed paid for the Princess but then again I waited for the 'deal'.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paul Gauguin verses Ocean Princess Cruise

In general, I'm not a "cruise" fan. But we jumped at the chance to sail on the truly once in a lifetime PG cruise in Nov. 2012 that sails from Fiji to Vanuatu and Noumea/Iles de Pins. It is being chartered by a eclipse tour company to view the 2012 total solar eclipse. I've always wanted to take the regular PG cruise as well, since I've read so many glowing reviews over the years.

I truly hope we like this cruise experience. The large size cruise ships are definitely not for me.