We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahiti vs other islands?

Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tahiti vs other islands?

I see very few people stay on Tahiti (please excuse my ignorance if that is not the name of the main island. Where Papeete is?) but rather stay on other islands, sometimes more than 1. Is there a reason for this? Is Tahiti not a good island to stay on? Is it worth the bother of getting to another island after all that travel (and being tired, I'm sure)?

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

While the interior of Tahiti is no doubt beautiful, the most stunning beaches (actually lagoons) lay on the other nearby islands. On Tahiti, the shore tends to drop away pretty fast resulting in small beaches and deep water close-in. The other islands offer lagoons where the bottom drops away slowly (some areas on some island you can be in "walkable" water out to maybe 1/4-1/2 mile). The result of this gradual increase in the water depth results in incredible colors of the water and when combined with the collections of picturesque small islets (known as "motus")that lay along the line of the reef, the end result is an extremely exotic backdrop. Though Tahiti is beautiful, it is truly blown away by the other islands - and you do not need to go far from Tahiti to see them. Moorea is but a short (40 minute or so) ferry ride away and is FAR more exotic and tropical-looking than Tahiti.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

hi again Sandra:

Papeete is the main city on the big island of Tahiti....it is basically a large city and most all the beaches on the big island are black sand. Most people don't really stay there for long...just to see the Le Marche (marketplace), maybe the Paul Gauguin museum and a drive around the island. The best beaches are on other islands and most are less than an hour plane ride away. You will find sweeping beaches and azure blue water on the other islands. Don't get me wrong...Papeete is an interesting place but not the paradise you are imagining Tahiti to be. Moorea is only a seven minute airplane ride away...or 40 minutes by ferry...a beautiful boat ride. All the other islands would be a plane ride as the ferries to these islands are quite unreliable. It would be a shame to fly that far and only see Tahiti/Papeete!

sunny regards,

shully

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

Sandra, LB is correct in that the main island of Tahiti is very beautiful once away from the bustle and development of Papeete. Le Diademe, a mountain behind Papeete looks like the teeth of a Saber Tooth Tiger. We used to stya for up to a wek on Tahiti. The Hotel Tahara was located on One Tree Hill and overlooked Matavai Bay, Point Venus, a black sand beach, and Moorea was dead on the horizon. Loved it there. The outer islands are where it's at though, same with most of the Pacific islands. If one goes to Fiji you avoid the main island if you want the best beaches, water, etc. Pub

Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

Which island would you recommend for a honeymoon that isn't OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

I would stay on Moorea if I was on a budget and maybe pop over to Huahine for a few days. Moorea is a gorgeous island and offers a wide variety of accomodations. The Hotel Hibiscus is a budget property with a gorgeous beach. Without knowing your budget it is difficult to recommend a property. The Pearl usually has good rates in Moorea and is a four star resort. Huahine is untouched paradise and will offer an ethnic true tahitian experience. There are also quite a few pensions there that are affordable. The nicest hotel is the Te Tiare. Bora Bora does have two resorts that are nice that are affordable. The Novotel which has hotel rooms across the street from a lovely beach...they have a very popular restaurant as well. Also the Le Maitai Polynesia is right next door and has lovely rooms, bungalows overwater that won't break the bank. Also, the Sofitel Marara is reopening and has some excellent rates. This property has been completely redone and is on a lovely beach, close to the Tiare market for snacks/water etc...all three of these properties are right next to each other. Hope this helps some!

sunny regards,

shully

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tahiti vs other islands?

Sandra, I can recommend to you with the utmost conviction, Vahine Island Resort. Shully names some good spots and Huahine is another island that I would go back to. I didn't appreciate it enough when I was there. Vahine is on a motu off the coast of Tahaa, a island virtually untouched by tourism. While I always considered Tahaa the least visually dramatic of the Society Islands, it has gorgeous motu. Lower room rates without the step down in service or room quality. Beautifil beach, lagoon, and a stay 9 pay 6 deal which brings the cost down further. I'm determined to go there and I thought my days in F.P. were long over. Think very hard about Vahine. Pub