We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to surf?

gold coast...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to surf?

Hi If we are staying at Manava Suite resort where is the closest surf break? Also what breaks can be accessed without a boat? Thanks Kind Regards Colleen

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to surf?

G'day

the surf break is right in front of the resort

just watch the locals.

I would check up also before hand the following website :

wannasurf.com/spot/…index.html

(the surf spot is Taapuna just below the airport)

# photos of surf spot accross the bay at Temae :

www.facebook.com/album.php…

# The Manava and the bay:

www.facebook.com/album.php…

Enjoy

meherio

Papeete
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to surf?

You can check this map on google map if you want a definitive view on what's available near your hotel : maps.google.com/maps…

gold coast...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to surf?

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated... Which resort would be the best to snorkle out the front of??

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to surf?

Hi Colleen, the best surf spot is Teahupo'o on Tahiti Iti but it is a fair way from Manava. All surf spots are to be accessed by boat except in Mahina (Orofara), NE coast of Tahiti where the younger ones learn to surf as it is a spot without a reef and easy accessible (black sand beach). I think you should know that there is quite a lot of boat traffic in the lagoon on the West coast of Tahiti (including in front of the Manava) and not advisable to swim out all the way to the reef due to currents as well.

Surfing is great but the reef can make it very dangerous if not acqainted with the area as the risk of getting smashed onto the reefs is high and the consequences pretty bad...

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
gold coast...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to surf?

Hi, Thank you for your advice re surf. I am hoping you can help me with a further question? We will be hiring a car to travel down to tahiti Iti - teahupoo area, but we want to stay near Papeete. If I just wanted to do a little bit of snorkling, out the front of the resort we are staying in, I'm aware it will only be basic snorkling - I don't have high expectations - but which resort would you recommend? We are tossing up between Manava, Intercontinental or Le Meridien or if we can't access surf / snorkling from those resorts - should we look at Radisson??? I really hope you can help me with my questions as we are about to book this holiday. Kind Regards Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to surf?

Hi Colleen, PM'd with all kinds of info for you.

Happy surfing!

tahiti
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to surf?

Yes man you havesome beatiful waves just behind the manava suit and you can swim 10 or 20minute for arrived

tahiti
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to surf?

So you have an another spot surf to papenno beachbreak or vairao or teahupoo or La fayette

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
425 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to surf?

So you're saying you can paddle out from Manava Suites to the break? Are the board rentals nearby if we don't bring our own? Is it a shortboard or longboard type break?

10. Re: Where to surf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, September 27, 2009