We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

na
Level Contributor
48 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

We're thinking of going to Tahiti and Moorea for our honeymoon in May. We're on a budget but want to make this work.

Our travel agent has suggested 5 nights in Tahiti and 6 nights and Moorea.

Is 5 nights too much in Tahiti?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

Ia orana

I might suggest to ask your agent to check for the long stay discounts on Moorea ( pay 4 stay 5 night or pay 8 stay 10 nights) at the Pearl resort among other. Moorea will offer more activities, beqches , restaurant, etc,,, than what you will find in Papeete.

Hope this helps

Meherio

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

Hi blueberry:

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Moorea is a beautiful island and well worth a long stay. I wouldn't stay on Tahiti for five days. The beaches are not the azure blue white sandy type as on Moorea, but rather, black sand (which is beautiful in it's own right). Papeete is a big city with shopping and dining options and a drive around the big island of Tahiti is in order. Other than that I'd really stay on Moorea longer! Possibly a two day stay in Papeete to see the sites?

sunny regards,

shully

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

I think 5 nights in Tahiti is too much. I agree that 2 would be fine. As for the other 9 nights....you could do them all on Moorea or you could throw in another island...such as Huahine, which is not nearly as expensive as say Bora Bora.

How much is your budget? Do you want to stay in over water bungalows? Are you planning to stay at 4-5 hotels, or are you open to a more local flavor style accomodation?

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

If you do chose to stay in Tahiti for 5 nights make sure to check out the brandnew to open Manava Suites. Beautiful view, great pool and incredible view of Tahiti. Most bang for your bucks there.

I know a lot of people suggest not to stay in Tahiti that long. Personally I could stand especially on a budget. There is a nice white beach around the PK 18 marker.

Regards BO

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

Hi all,

Well I just booked my trip and I'm in Tahiti for five nights. I can hardly wait to explore the island, these are my ideas,

* golfing (to keep my husband happy)

* or deep sea fishing (we'll both be happy then)

* circle island tour

* safari tour

* tour island on own with rental, check out musuems, black sand beaches,historical landmarks, waterfalls etc.

* sunset sail

* the markets,pearl shopping, roulettes

* find a neat local place while exploring the island for a beer and snack

* meet the local residents

* enjoy the local restaurants

And finally, relax at the resort after our loooong journey from Canada before heading to Moorea and Bora Bora to enjoy the amazing water, beaches and the islands.

I think I can fill the five days :)

Whatever you plan, enjoy! Keep in mind I'm there for 15 full days so I can afford the time in Tahiti - if you are there for 11 nights then perhaps mix it up as i'm convinced from people on this forum that Moorea is NOT TO BE MISSED! :)

I don't think Tahiti will be that bad. My two cents I guess for someone who hasn't been there yet but very excited about it :)

Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon.

Cheers.

Lori

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

We too spent five days on Tahiti and found lot's to do. Just visiting the market place takes at least a 1/2 day, then the circle island tour, the cultural center, etc. Lori is right about plenty to do. Then you can see Moorea at your leisure and relax.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: How many days should we stay in Tahiti?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 16, 2009