We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Fiancee & I are heading to Tahiti for our honeymoon in mid-July. Due to peak season, flights, various deals, etc. we ended up doing the following:

- 4 days at the intercontinental Tahiti Resort, Panoramic room (not OWB)

- 10 days at the Hilton Moorea, Panoramic OWB

Things are already booked, etc.

I'm wondering if we'll deeply regret not find a way to get over to Bora Bora? Either as a day trip, or just a one-night (and eat the cost of two hotels)?

Thanks in advance!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

It is absolutely beautiful.... BUT....I don't believe it is absolutely necessary. I know many people who have been to various islands in FP and NOT been to Bora Bora. They have no regrets.

It is practically impossible to do as a day trip and truly not worth it for just one night....plus you'd be facing a $500RT per person airfare just to get there and back.

While on Moorea or Tahiti, you might want to consider a day trip out to Tetiaroa (Marlon Brando's island). A much more reasonable and logical place to go for a day trip.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

While in Moorea if you decide to go to Bora Bora you might be able to change your remaining Hilton Moorea nights ( with additional pay) to the Hilton in Bora Bora. One would have to know how you booked your trip. As for the car 4 hrs at a time should do when you feel like getting out and about. Glad you decided against scooter.

Regards Bo

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Thanks! I feel better about it now. I'm going to look into doing a trip to Tetiaroa. I really appreciate the help from you both!

-Bill

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

We did not go to Bora Bora on our first trip to Moorea, and did not regret it a bit! Moorea is the island we've been returning to for 18 years, and we only visit Bora Bora occasionally.

If you do decide to spring for the expensive airfare to visit Bora Bora, don't do it for just an overnight; the travel back and forth will eat up your vacation time and you won't enjoy it. You'd need at least three days there to justify the airfare and to really experience the island.

Tetiaroa is a wonderful daytrip from Papeete!

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Barbi is spot on ............ 3 days at least to justify the time/expense to get there.

My first visit to FP was to Moorea for 7 nights (honeymoon). We had a wonderful time just on Moorea, no regrets.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Is it possible to get to Tetiaroa from Moorea? Most of our time with be there. I've been doing some searching, but haven't found any options.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Ia Orana, short of chartering your own sail boat, There are no links from Moorea to Tetiaroa.

The departures from Papeete are quite early and might be do-able catching the very first fast ferry. do clear at the time of booking that you are coming from Moorea. I am not sure now of the time of return to Papeete ( and the time of the last ferry) you might have to spend one if not 2 nights in Papeete for that day trip to Tetiaroa.

Meherio

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Here is a link that lists a few charters that sail to Tetiaroa from Moorea: http://www.tetiaroa.com/sailing.html

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Yes, you can. There is going to be a new boat that is just starting service (in the very near future) from Moorea to Tetiaroa. I don't have all the info with me right now....but hopefully Barbi can pop in here with the new info on it.

LOL! I guess Barbi already did! Geesh...that was fast! :-)

Edited: 11:14 am, June 25, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip booked, but didn't include Bora Bora. Will I regret it?

Ohhh....Barb, is that the new company Poehere was talking about a couple weeks ago?