We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer Fishing Questions

annandale mn.
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Homer Fishing Questions

What would one pay for 1/2 day on a smaller boat ? Would the waters be rough this time of year and also being on a smaller boat ? Any recommendations? Are the Halibut always "in" . What and where can the "bore" (?????) tide be seen?

Dog Gone It
Other Ranches & Farms
Denali Fly Fishing Guides
Fishing Charters & Tours
Denali Sightseeing Safaris
Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Homer, Alaska
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Homer Fishing Questions

A half day on a 6 pack boat is going to run between 135-150 per person, the boat is usually 25-35' in length. The waters vary from day to day, today they are nice, yesterday they were a little choppy. You can usually listen to the forecast for a few days ahead or just ask the company you go with. The halibut are abundant in the ocean. You are not guaranteed fish but 9 out of 10 times everyone comes in with their two fish. Can't help you with the "bore" tide sorry.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
492 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homer Fishing Questions

Halibut would be considered always in, my husband tells me they move in closer when salmon are running and tend to follow herring also. I think it's probably good to go with an outfit that's been in business for a while. They will know where halibut tend to lie. My husband says a 28-30 foot boat would be a good size, he thinks if they get much bigger they're not as fun. There are lots of outfits online now, if they are advertizing on Alaska.com or an official city website, they should be ok. My husband thinks you should rethink the half day and go for one that will stay out till everyone has a good try at their limit. We are using Puffin Charters out of Seward in a couple weeks, they don't do half days for halibut only for salmon, they charge $180 and we will bring our own cooler with sandwiches and drinks. They will filet but we will package our own fish, that is something to look for if that's included in the price. If you or your wife get sea sick you should get a patch for that from your Dr. My friend gets one and she says they work great. It will mean the difference between a good experience and a nightmare if you are afflicted. Weather is unpredictable, if it's too rough the policy is to refund your money. If you book with a credit card it shouldn't ever be a problem. Make sure you dress in layers. I bring a knit hat and knit gloves in my pockets, I get cold out on the water even if it's warm on shore. A lot of halibut charters will also let you troll for King salmon, if they do, make sure you get a King stamp if you want to try for that. It's only $10 and worth trying for. Just a sidenote;.) Seward and the area around it have much more to see and do, It's another 3 hour drive to Homer which you could spend actually out of the car and doing things. The spit is a big tourist trap, not worth the time "in my opinion".

annandale mn.
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Homer Fishing Questions

Thanks . Sorry but I get confused on this forum thing . Some post go to the Alaska site , some to Homer and God only knows where else . We will be spending two days in Girdwood and plan on working through the Seward area from there . We are trying to compose a list of things to see and do on our travels from as far north as Talkeetna down south to Homer . We will be driving a rental car and already have our resevations at a couple of B&Bs and Hotels . We are two adults who travel well together and also want to enjoy our time in your great state . We will have a list of things to see , but also take our time to take in what ever we can at a decent pace. It also is our one year wedding anniversary.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
492 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homer Fishing Questions

Don't feel bad, It looked like Cantwell forum needed something happening even if we're just talking about halibut fishing. I'm sure people from Cantwell go halibut fishing too, lol!

Get answers to your questions about Cantwell
More Cantwell Topics