We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tobacco Caye
Search

Tobacco CAye

Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Tobacco CAye
Save

We are planning to spend 5 days in Tobacco and only 2 days in San Ignacio / Tikal. Isn't it too long to be on a small island as Tobacco??? Anybody who was there any suggestions? Also do you tip captains on a boat arranging transfer from mainland to caye?

3 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
17,481 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Tobacco CAye
Save

We spent three nights of Tobacco Caye several years ago. By the time we left, I was ready to swim back to the mainland. Two nights would have been plenty for us. But, we're people who like different places to eat/drink every night. We like to snorkel, but, don't spend huge amounts of time doing it. We enjoyed our stay, but, I wouldn't want to stay five nights.

I'd spend more time in San Ignacio, so much to see and do there.

Central America
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
32 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: Tobacco CAye
Save

Tobacco is one of my favorite places, but it is a VERY small island. If you have any fantasies about living on a small island...this may cure you of those. I usually only stop in there for a night or two on my own boat so I can leave when I choose.

If you like to snorkel, dive, fish, relax, and hang out with the locals at the bar then its a great place, but if you want a lot of different activities maybe not.

Edited: 7:07 pm, August 06, 2015
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
56 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Tobacco CAye
Save

Agreed with the other responders. I spent two nights there, and that was plenty. It was beautiful, and the people were friendly, all 22 residents of the island if I remember correctly. But after that, we were ready to head on to the next town on our itinerary.

Reply to: Tobacco CAye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tobacco Caye