We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tobacco Caye
Search

Packing for a Purpose luggage question

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are leaving for Placencia on Sept 30. We are staying at Singing Sands in one of their wonderful looking cabanas. My question is about luggage. Singing Sands is members of an organization called Packing for a Purpose. Being an ER RN this is something that I was very interested in doing. We plan on bringing supplies for the Placencia Health Center and the Placencia Humane Society. We will need to bring two extra suitcases because we have so many donations to bring. So a total of 4 suitcases, one for my hubby, one for me and two for donations. We will be leaving the two extra suitcases there when we return home. We are taking a Maya Air flight into Placencia. Will these suitcases be a problem? I think I am more excited about taking the donations than the vacation. I have been in contact with both places and they are such gracious grateful people with such great needs and I am so happy that we are able to help. Thanks to all in advance for any guidance on this luggage issue.

11 replies to this topic
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
458 posts
95 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

You can try sending the airlines an email--they are very responsive!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

Thank you! I didn't know if they would be, they sure aren't here in the US. I will do that now.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

LoveHawaii, did you get a response from Maya Island Air?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
4. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

We took Maya Air from BZE to AC. We had to check our wheelie bags (which were carry-ons on United) so we each had two bags. No problem.

BTW, glad you're doing this. We didn't think to make any kind of donation until after our trip. It took a bit to figure it out but we donated books to the Hopkins library via Better World Book'd ( free international shipping)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
5. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

girl_wonder - Interesting - I'll look into that! We (actually a nephew traveling with us) hauled a load of books to Miss Bertie's Library in Hopkins a few years ago, a good cause.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
6. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

hopefulist, yeah we didn't have a nephew (or the foresight) to bring books on our trip, so sending them to Miss Bertie's afterward worked well. I think you may have a contact there, but if not, feel free to PM me. Since I didn't know what books they'd want, I said I'd donate $X in books, and their library committee chose the books (on the Better World Books website).

FWIW, we also popped into the San Pedro library (AC). My DH said their World Book Encyclopedia set was from the 1970s--before Belize was an independent country! Very sad. I noticed that books were more expensive in Belize than in the US, and the per-capita income is around $2500/yr. I can't imagine how the average person in Belize can afford to buy books. So, more books for Belize! ;)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
7. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

Some dear friends of ours here at home were Peace Corps volunteers in Hopkins in the 80s (before electricity and running water was available) and maintain contact with friends there, so it's been fun for us to visit. I'll keep BWB in mind for future reference. Thanks again!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I didn't hear back from Maya Air but we are staying at Singing Sands and she was able to contact them yesterday and it sounds like it won't be a problem. Now I just hope I'm OK with customs. I'm an RN and along with a ton of stuff for the Humane Society I am bringing medical supplies for the Clinic in Placencia. I have been told that as long as they are not outdated I should be OK. I don't think I'm going to have any room left for clothes!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
9. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

You won't need very many clothes for Belize anyway. My husband flew down for the last 2 weeks of my trip this summer (3 weeks in Guatemala and 3 in Belize for me); he packed really light and came home with half his clothes unworn. I hope your trip goes smoothly - can't wait to read about it!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Save

Wow, those are great ideas that I'm glad you shared. We only thought about travel size toothpaste and deflated soccer balls - which are also good donations.

Echo on the half as much clothes, twice as much money philosophy...

Reply to: Packing for a Purpose luggage question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tobacco Caye