We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tobacco Caye
Search

suit case or duffel bag

Minneapolis...
4 posts
suit case or duffel bag
Save

Should I pack in a suit case or duffel bag traveling to taobacco cay and then spending soem time in the jungle too?

4 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
1. Re: suit case or duffel bag
Save

You'd be fine either way, I think. I prefer to travel with a carry-on sized conversion backpack - straps tuck away if you want to carry it like a suitcase or check it on the way home. Let me know if you'd like me to post links to examples. Happy trails!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: suit case or duffel bag
Save

Either works but when traveling I prefer a small roller suticase, overhead locker size, and a good small backpack as a carry on. Quite often you can take both of these as onboard on longhaul flights. Internal flights in Belize will only allow one small piece of carry on so pack all valuables in this small piece. I always carry a change of underwear and a swim suit in my carry on just in case luggage gets lost. All other clothes can be bought or borrowed t destination. (This is general advice not just Belize). Other things you can do, scan in all your travel dox and email them to yourself, in case of lost passports etc. Back to luggage, wherever you go you will find strong willing arms to help you carry things, have a few loose dollars in your pocket for tips, US is fine. I was just at the airport and amazed to see people arriving for Maya and Tropic flights in high heels and tight clothes. DON'T DO THIS! Especially the high heels. Our roads and walking surfaces are not suitable for high heels, and you will be hot and uncomfortable on a small plane that you have to scramble into if your clothes are tight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: suit case or duffel bag
Save

great advice...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,444 posts
73 reviews
149 helpful votes
4. Re: suit case or duffel bag
Save

I travel like Belizequeen. Rolling carryon and a small daypack. All the valuables go in the daypack, so when I have to check the roll-aboard for the tiny planes, I carry on everything breakable and valuable in the daypack.

Boats to the cayes and small planes are great for photography, so have your camera accessible.

Last June, when I went to Belize - a hotelier asked if I minded bringing down a season of Mad Men. Turned out to be 3 seasons, so I had to check a bag - which was lost. Luckily, AA found it before I left for Glovers Atoll (or I really would have been screwed), but I was so thrilled I had a bathing suit, skirt and change of underwear in my daypack.

Normally, I would have all my cosmetics too, but they were in the checked bag. I am so lucky my bag arrived because the cosmetic options in Hopkins and Dangriga were limited! I will never offer to do favors for anyone again and am back to traveling in carryon only!

My main reason for preferring the rollaboard; soft sided luggage is not safe to check rum and hot sauce home in. If I have a non-stop flight it's one thing; I can stock up on One Barrel and Marie Sharp in the airport after security, but most of the time I get stuck with a connection. With the hard sided bag, I can pack liquids in 2-3 knotted plastic bags, then wrap them in clothing or towels and they make it home intact.

Suitcaseready.com

Edited: 5:58 pm, August 12, 2012
Reply to: suit case or duffel bag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tobacco Caye