We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good base area in Costa Rica?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lafayette, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Good base area in Costa Rica?

We are traveling to Costa Rica on Dec. 1 for a week stay. We would like to travel around but would like to stay in one place and take tours from there. Can anyone recommend a beautiful hotel/bnb/resort that would also be day tour accessible? Thanks!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good base area in Costa Rica?

Figure out exactly what day trips you want to take. For the most part, that idea of one base hotel doesn't work well in Costa Rica because the terrain makes for very long drives.

Sandy

Santa Cruz de Leon...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good base area in Costa Rica?

I agree. Decide what you want to see (attractions) and start from there.

Most people don't realize Costa Rica is a rugged country. If you want the beach or the Arenal volcano at all you will also have to book a hotel there too. They are just too far.

Remember that many tours overlap in areas as well. Arenal and Montelverde might be special places in themselves, but you may be "transported" to the same area that is accessible from the Central Valley.

But never fear! The Central Valley (San Jose, Heredia, Alajela, Escazu) has enough varied things to do to keep you busy and enable you to really enjoy Costa Rica and its culture. I advise to visit San Jose but stay outside of it somewhere close like Heredia.

Find maybe choose a bed and breakfast that has its own varied tours and can also help you plan an itinerary beforehand.

Lafayette, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good base area in Costa Rica?

Thank you both for your recommendations. Having never been to Costa Rica, we are having trouble prioritizing. Do you have a list of what you believe are the best places to visit and lodging?

Santa Cruz de Leon...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good base area in Costa Rica?

If you like you can e-mail me, at james@casaholanda.com and I would be happy to brainstorm with you.

In the meantime check out the photos I've posted here on Trip Advisor it will give you an idea of the different areas Costa Rica has and kind of what they look like.

5. Re: Good base area in Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 20, 2009