We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature Air versus Sansa?

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Nature Air versus Sansa?

Any difference between the two other than times the planes are leaving? Going from Tamarindo to San Jose Airport.

From what I can tell on websites:

Nature Air has 25% discount for children. Sansa does not.

Nature Air limits baggage to 30 pounds; Sansa limits @ 25 pounds.

Anything else that I should know when making the decision? And/or taking either plane into San Jose?

Thanks! LL

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

Yes- Sansa is actually at the San Jose airport ( in an adjacent terminal). Nature Air flies into a local airport in San Jose about 30 minutes away from the International Airport. I hear that Nature Air is safer (from a travel agent) but we chose the convience of not having to transfer and shuttle back and forth to the other airport. We felt safe flying on Sansa and would do it again. Sansa weighed our bags, but didn't charge us any additional $$ for the bags being over the weight limit.

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

Hey,

Another thing to consider is that I believe Nature Air flys into a different airport near Pavas - where as Sansa flys directly into SJO.

This may affect a trasfer if you need to hop another plane asap in San Jose.

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

One min. too slow!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

Thats ok - can't hurt to hear it twice!

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

THANKS for the tips which will make a difference when I book. LL

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

If you are going into San Jose, not much difference but

Natureair has a much better safety record in Costa Rica than Sansa.

If you are going from San Jose outbound, Natureair has better quality facilities than Sansa. Although Natureair is in Pavas, check in is 30 minutes prior to flight. For Sansa, correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't done it, but I believe you need go through the Terminal and security check at SJO, which can take as much time. Also, at Pavas you can pay your airport exit tax with no wait at the government window, as opposed to standing on line at SJO. If you use Natureair, be sure to see the Madonna and baby Jesus in the lobby.

I have found Natureair has a more liberal policy on changing tickets. Sansa is stricter.

Although you have a weight limit, anything over the allowance is charged about 55 cents per pound, so it's not major. 10 more pounds is $5.50.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

SANSA uses a separate facility at SJO, next door to but physically separated from the international terminal, so the above info is incorrect. Both airlines have had their handful of crashes... They are documented here: http://aviation-safety.net/database/ . Note that Nature Air was formerly known as Travelair.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
149 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

Thanks Misterjosh! I've been trying to decide whether to fly Sansa, Natureair, or neither, and had a hard time tracking down their safety records. I think we're leaning towards Natureair...

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

Hello.

Since I initially asked the question, thought I would indicate our experience with Sansa. We got back from CR on 8/14/06.

Last destination we stayed at was Tamarindo and we decided to fly Sansa from Tamarindo to San Jose Airport. (only a 1 hour flight)

First it is ONLY a 8 minute ride from Tamarindo Diria to Tamarindo Airport. (Note this should cost only $6 to 10 for taxi maximum - we got slightly taken advantage of on price - but should have done my research).

Second, Tamarindo Airport charges an extra $1.50 tax to depart. While I realize this is not much - it came as a surprise when the security guy asked us each for the $1.50. It believe that the Tamarindo Airport is built on land owned by the Diria - so you are actually paying the cost of the airport lease. FYI - keep small change handy to pay this departure fee.

Bag limitation: Although I had indicated to my mom NOT to overpack (limit of 25 pounds in 1 check in bag) she didn't listen. Her 2 bags weighed about 45 pounds and while the bags were weighed, she was not charged extra. I think they took an average of all of us traveling and since the rest of us were under the limit they bypassed her extra bag weight. Also we had a couple of extra carry on bags which they gave us no problem with. They will ask you for your weight (even though they have scales there) and not make you go on the scale. Yeah!

The flight was pretty smooth and quick. Sansa was on time with even an unscheduled stop in Liberia to pick up an employee.

Sansa lands next to a separate facility at SJ, which is NOT connected to San Jose International Airport. You must walk around the parameter of the building to get into the main Airport. Folks will offer to drive you - but it is only a 5-10 minute walk - real easy.

LL

10. Re: Nature Air versus Sansa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:51 pm, September 22, 2006