We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best coffee for gifts ?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
441 reviews
Save Topic
Best coffee for gifts ?

What is the name of the best Costa Rica coffee for gifts to take home?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

There are many many brands available in the supermarket. Just check them out. And you will find all types of roasts and blends -- organic, shade-grown, espresso, etc. When I visit my family in the US, I go to the supermarket and buy an assortment of various coffees and they love it.

The brands mentioned here are all good -- Volio and 1820 are very popular as is Rey -- but you can find a lot of others.

As someone else suggested, as you are drinking coffee during your visit, if you have something that you like very much, ask your server what the brand is. If you have a coffeemaker in your room(s), you can try them out yourself!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

BTW, of all the Rey varieties, I like "Selecto" the best...

It's not my favorite coffee in the world (that would be Ethiopian Nekemte), but it's my favorite Costa Rican coffee.

I generally prefer low acidity and that can be hard to impossible to find with CR coffee (which is, in part, why CR coffee is so popular in the US - high acidity = bright tones = fine coffee in the perception of many), but overall, Rey Selecto is quite round and pleasing to the palate without being too bitter.

I know! How can coffee be so complicated?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

If you're flying out of Liberia, check out the coffee at sunburst in the do-it-center. They roast it on site. You can sample them all and you can pick it up on your way home. Jay Villa Nube Nueve

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

Sunburst is a good idea.

You can find it in a shopping center known as the "Do It Center" (like a Home Depot) which is a few miles west of the airport. (It's at the corner where you turn to go to Playa Panama and not far from the turnoff to Playas del Coco)

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

Thanks for the info about Rey.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

I'll be the lone dissenter here. I like drinking several kinds of coffee while in Costa Rica. Cafe Milagro is my favorite. But when I bring gifts home for friends and customers, I go to the airport and buy Cafe Britt. If you buy it at the airport is much fresher than in the grocery stores. The Poas coffee is packaged really well for a gift, and is everyone's favorite. It is quite expensive if you buy a single bag ($10.50), but if you buy the larger quantities, it is a good deal.

Drinking just about any coffee in Costa Rica is a treat. You can't go wrong.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

Ah and then there is Triangulo de Oro, dark roast is my favourite. I agree with skipping Britt although there marketing is excellent and it seems they own the airport.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

I usually buy 1820 as gifts and people seem to love it. My father orders Cafe Britt online because it's easy to get delivered to the US and likes it as well.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

I will probably brought my coffee at grocery store close to the hotel.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best coffee for gifts ?

In that case, you will have no problem buying just about any of the coffees recommended here.