We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Schedule

richmond
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Schedule

I will be returning to San Jose in August and hope to get around the area by bus. I have used them before with only a few problems. The most trouble is finding what bus goes where and how often. Is there anywhere I can get a bus schedule? I will most likely be staying in the Sabana area, but will want to take a bus to Escazu, to the Cima Hospital/Multiplaza area, the WalMart in Escazu, and to the Village of Escazu where Casona de Laly is located.

I haven't found a schedule online or snywhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Escazu
Escazu
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus Schedule

Now that's information! Thanks Mickey!

richmond
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus Schedule

Thanks again for all your help. I'll have to print this all out to take with me. I've used the bus stops across the street from the hospital and Sabana Sur and have been in the crush of people outside Cima Hospital and the one to the side of the Multiplaza in rush hour. I've also gotten empty buses at Escazu inn the village and buses downtown where i've sat there for what seems like ages wondering when the bus is going to leave. And yes, I'm always the only tourist on the bus. I prefer them partly because they're cheap, and partly because of all the horror stories of people getting ripped off by cab drivers. The main reason I like the buses is because the people are so kind. They smile, they offer me their seat, sometimes they chat . Their babies never cry , which is odd to me because you can't go anywhere in the US without a baby screaming his head off. The first time I was in CR, I was mugged. I couldn't understand what the appeal of CR was. It wasn't until I started riding the buses that I got it. Now I love CR and their wonderful people. The mugger , well not so much... But thanks for your detailed help with the buses!

Mentioned in this post
Escazu
Escazu
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus Schedule

"Their babies never cry , which is odd to me because you can't go anywhere in the US without a baby screaming his head off."

There is a couple theories on that. Many other people who have come down to Costa Rica from The US have noticed the same thing.

I spoke to a Gringo father once who pointed out to me, that when I child learns to walk, they fall down a lot. His child became much more careful than any other children he has seen in the US as they learned to walk. In the US, mostly the child will fall down on the hardwood or the padded carpet on a plywood base over a wood frame. Here, they fall and hit tile and concrete. Much more painful. Negative reinforcement.

One person suggested the lack of crying was also part of a culture where the parents do not coddle them when they cry. Here they are ignored or swatted. Negative reinforcement.

A possible positive reinforcement is the fact that few mothers (and fathers) use baby carriages and strollers. Here the kids are tucked under the arm and carried around like a football. (This is due to the cost of the stroller as well as horrific sidewalks and gutters that make them impractical). It has been suggested that this practice helps parent/child bonding and the children do not feel the need for the attention they get by constantly crying.

"The first time I was in CR, I was mugged. I couldn't understand what the appeal of CR was"

I have been mugged twice here. This is the only place it has ever happened to me and I have worked and lived in many rough neighborhoods before I came down here.

"It wasn't until I started riding the buses that I got it."

There are 2 things that stand out to me when riding public transit here. The first is positive. Nobody seems in a bad mood on their way to work and beat up after a hard days work on their way home. This is the opposite of the years I spent commuting on subways, buses and commuter rail in the US.

The negative, very few people on the buses here seem to be making use of their time. Mostly they just stare out the window and drool. In NY, everyone was reading, studying, or doing something else besides sitting there with a blank stare.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
14. Re: Bus Schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 24, 2014