We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for one night in San Jose

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Hotel for one night in San Jose

Hi everyone, my fiance and I are going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in June. We are flying into San Jose in on a Satruday night (we'll be getting there around 9PM) and instead of making the trip up to our hotel in La Fortuna that night, we thought we would just spend the night in San Jose and head up to La Fortuna the next morning.

We're looking for a nice hotel near the airport but also near good restaurants/nightlife to have our first Costa Rican meal. Any suggestions?

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
577 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

Grano de Oro is a very nice hotel. Lots of couples spend their first or last leg of honeymoon there. I heard the food in their restaurant is excellent but not sure if it would still be opened by the time you arrive. It's about $20 cab ride from the airport.

We arrived at 5pm and stayed close to the airport. We stayed at Casa Tago, it isn't anything fancy but we thought we were only spending the night there. It was clean and we could walk in the town of Alajuela. Got ourselves some snacks and food. Had our dinner in town.

We also liked Hotel Pura Vida, which we spent our last night there. Also very close to airport (5 mins). It's a very beautiful little hotel. You can enjoy the view of Poas volcano in the morning if the weather is nice. You can let them know your arrival time and request to have a meal, they'll arrange something for you. The only thing is that there's nothing in the neighbourhood for you to walk around.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

Thanks for these suggestions, Grano de Oro looks beautiful! What time do restaurants generally close in Costa Rica? Is there anything in the area of Grano if their restaurant in fact is closed when we get there?

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
577 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

The restaurants closes at 10pm. A TA friend from Toronto spent her first night there during her honeymoon. She describes the food was amazing and they were being treated like celebrities.

I'm not sure what else is in the area. Read lots of reviews and also ask the hotel. I'm sure that'll help.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

I've read many recommendations for Adventure Inn Hotel and they have very good reviews here on Trip Advisor. We will be staying at Tacacori Ecolodge on our last night before we fly out. I think it's a little further out but I wanted to still be in the mountains.

Edited: 12:45 pm, March 26, 2013
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

We've stayed at Grano de Oro a few times, and it's an excellent hotel - really neat and historical, and the restaurant is fantastic. Xandari is another very honeymoonish option - beautiful views, spa, etc. They have a good restaurant on site, but you'd have to check with them about what time it closes. Grano de Oro is great if you want a city hotel; Xandari has that get away from it all feeling and although close to the airport feels more isolated since it's above the city.

6. Re: Hotel for one night in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2014