We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weyburn, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airport

My boyfriend and I are meeting up with a couple friends in San Jose - problem is, we arrive at the airport six hours before they do. We have transportation scheduled for us once they arrive, but does anyone have a suggestion as to what we could fill our six hours with until they arrive? Thanks so much!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport

The airport is actually in Alajuela, not San Jose.

You could grab a taxi and head for the center of Alajuela and walk around a bit and do some shopping or banking - but - the biggest problem will be your luggage. If you are taking one of the shared van shuttles, you could leave your luggage at the hotel where you are getting picked up.

Otherwise, you could take a taxi to a restaurant near the airport - Rosti Pollos is a good choice.

One option is to just rent an inexpensive room in a hostel. Drop off your luggage and spend some time looking around Alajuela and having a meal. Then have a little rest, maybe a shower and return to the airport to meet your friends. For me, this would be the best solution since you will obviously be pretty tired from your flight and I would not like to just hang around someplace for 6 hours. There are inexpensive hostels 15 minutes or less from the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport

What a great suggestion Hattie!

There is a little spot called Hotel Santamaria (it actually even shows up on Google maps.....) literally 5 minutes from the airport. The owner's name is Jorge and the number is 110+8390-0242. If you explain your situation i imagine he could arrange to have some fruit etc for you, there are private bathrooms and it's about $35 (their business card says they'll even pay for the taxi from the airport....i've always had a car so i've never tested the waters on this one, but it's worth asking) . Central Park is 2 blocks directly north and there is a great little cafe for treats on the walk there. Waaaay better then killing time at the airport!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport

I have stayed at Hotel Santamaria and it is very comfortable and convenient. There is also Hostel Trotamundos which gets good reviews.

Edited: 5:30 pm, March 06, 2013
Weyburn, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport

I have contacted Hotel Santamaria and they indicated we would still have to pay the $75.00 hosting fee. Although that would include breakfast, I'm not sure I want to spend $75.00 to basically store our luggage for a few hours. Are there any restaurants in the airport? I'm guessing probably not, right?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport

Have you checked any other hostels in Alajuela? There are LOTS of them. Try Hostel Trotamundos. Just rent a room, for heaven's sake, and spend your 6 hours in comfort! Figure $10-$20 for a dorm room or a bit more for private in a nice hostel.

Take a look here: You will find a LOT of cheap accommodations!

hostelbookers.com/hostels/…

There is no "law" or "rule" that says you have to spend the night if you rent a room. It's just a convenience for your scheduling issues.

PS: I would be really really surprised if Hotel Santamaria wanted to charge you a $75.00 "hosting fee" which is more than the price of a room.

Edited: 11:15 am, March 07, 2013
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport

The airport has restaurants, didn't seem to have good food choices, and expensive. CR is expensive, we spent $50- 80 average for lunch for 4 people, and not even in a fancy place, or fancy food, so I believe they would have no problem charging $75 for "storing" luggage and a meal, and a place to rest.

Maybe you can call other hotels nearby, ie Hampton Inn, Holidy Inn if they offer same services for less (they have a free shuttle from airport few minutes away).

If you're in for a good charitable cause , ARA project 5 minutes from the airport has tours of their macaw breeding center, saving the endangered macaws. You have to make an appointment ahead of time.

If you go to downtown SJ , someone told me, it takes 30 min or more depending on traffic, and taxi could cost $30 each way.

Weyburn, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport

I was suprised to see the $75 price tag too - Sary is the lady I've been emailing. I said that was more than I was looking to spend and so I'd search elsewhere, and she said, "well that includes taxes, shuttle, breakfast, and shuttle back." I'm not ruling it out yet, but I will look into other options!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport

I'm suprised about the price too....maybe walk in is the way to go? We've never paid more then $40 and it included breakfast. I would definately say don't rule the plan out, Alajuela is a great place to grab a bite and spend the afternoon!

Weyburn, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport

Yes, in relation to the trip overall, $75 is quite minimal, but still more than I'd like to spend! Oh well - the transportation to and from the airport is a big bonus vs. waiting for a taxi (I'm not sure what that's like, but if I know I have transportation mostly taken care of ahead of time it will save a little of my sanity!).

Weyburn, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport

I'm seeking your input again - we could stay at Hotel Mi Tierra (also close to the airport as far as I understand) for only $10 a person to store our luggage, use the pool, and access to internet. However, this means we would need to take a taxi both from and back to the airport. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi? Does anyone know what the approximate cost would be? Trying to figure out which would be the better option between this and the aforementioned Hotel Santa Maria Inn.

Thanks again - all of your input is greatly appreciated!