We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Bad Cab drivers

San Jose, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Topic
Beware of Bad Cab drivers

Always be prepared . we hailed a cab around coca cola last night . We said hotel bolivar,proximo bolivar zoo.Instead of taking us there he started taking usin the oppisite direction out of town towards the west. Alto alto.stop stop .Take us to coca cola . He tried to get paid called the cops eventually backed down . Hate to think of the possible outcome .Held to ransom demanding payment in an area we did not know . Make sure the cab driver understands some english .Use Costa Rican directions .Ie Calle nueve y once avenida sies.Norte de parque morazon. Just got on the bus and came back home to cuidad colon . Had dinner there the waiter said bad cab experiences are common.

always do your home work.Have the address written down. If you feel something is wrong Get out of the cab.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

Good advice from Eric. Taxi drivers in San Jose are no different from taxi drivers anywhere else. There are good........ and there are those who will drive all around to run up the charges on the meter.

If you have your destination - and having it in written form is a good idea - you can also negotiate for a fixed price.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

Being held hostage against is a pretty extreme instance. I know many people in Costa Rica, both lifetime citizens and emigres, that after dark, they will not enter a public taxi. They will only call a driver that they know and trust.

Usually, the only problems are fixed meters. There is bottom rigged to most cab meters on the drivers side that will speed up the "maria" and a 2000 colone taxi ride becomes a 4000 colone ride.

That said, the reason the airport has a separate, higher priced, orange taxi system instead of the standard red taxis, is that the drivers of the orange taxis have to register their destination before they leave the airport. Before Costa Rica changed to that system, many tourists were getting in a taxi at the airport and getting dropped of at the end of a dark cul de sac shy of their belongings and their money.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

The current system for airport taxis is that it is a metered fare. It used to be that you would go to a "booth" and pre-pay your taxi ride to your destination. However, that's not done anymore.

(Now that I have written that, it will change today!)

The airport taxis are very professional and honest. In my experience, of the 100's of taxis I have taken over the years, the worst offenders of overcharging are the taxis of San Jose and second would be the taxis of Alajuela.

Always ask that they use the meter, have a prior idea of what the price should be, or negotiate a fixed price. If there is a problem, you can just pay up and go away or you can take down the name and license number and report them later or offer to call the police.

The current taxi rates are: 590 colones for the first kilometer and 585 for each additional kilometer. If the taxi is stuck in traffic for a long time, there may also be a small (legal) additional charge. Official airport taxis (orange) are allowed to charge more.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

Avoid Taxis PIRATAS or the ones offer by some pushy guys outside the gates at SJO or LIR...some not very nice guys are driving those cars.. and incredible most of the time are more expensive than ny official taxi..any taxi most have the ID with the unit number and the taxi driver picture and name...in case you need to file a report...

Some guys with old vans at SJO offer services all over the country...but most of them...not nice people...

roadadvisor

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

Hola!

Are there collectivo's or local buses that service the San Jose area? If so, what are their rates?

Thank you,

Trail Rabbit

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

There are buses that service the San Jose area. They are private companies and have various rates (regulated -but competitive) - but they are all really cheap. Many of the buses will display their fares on the front windshield.

For example, from Alajuela (where the airport is located) to San Jose costs around 500 colones - which is around a dollar. It's a ride of 1/2 to an hour.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

All depends on what part of the city your are in also. Drivers no that most gringos around the Coca Cola are tourists and don't know anything about San Jose. I knock on wood every time I hear a bad taxi story. I have had extremely good luck here over the years. I speak ok Spanish and always get a little conversation going with them on futbol or something. I always make sure they use the meter too. Sorry you got a bad one.

8. Re: Beware of Bad Cab drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014