We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best option

Maryland
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
What is the best option

Hello all!

I am planning my very first trip to Costa Rica and I plan to have dental work done while there. I have to make 2 trips because I don't have the time (or money)to do it all at once. I need at least 6 implants and a fixed bridge.

I have received estimates from:

Nova Dental

Enrique Parra-Liberia

Arnoldo Anglada

Meza Dental

Cavalini & Son-I'm kind of Iffy on this place

My questions:

1. Have you had experience with any of these Doctors?

2. can recommend others

3. Where would you recommend I stay?

Thank you and if you have pics, I would LOVE to see them!

Feel free to email me!

Thanks,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,592 posts
122 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: What is the best option

DENTAVAC,,,good people...great Drs...Acosta a great Dr...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
1 post
2. Re: What is the best option

When are you going? I plan on going also. If you went where did you go?

Im thinking of Meza dental.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
51 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: What is the best option

I had EXCELLENT experiences with NOVA and both Dr Obando and Dr Chavarria there! I have since referred 2 friends who are both extremely pleased with the work. You can read my input on some recent posts on dental surgery cr etc. Dr Obando will email directly with you before your visit so you have a good idea of costs, procedures etc. I spent 10 days each trip (2 total) at Villa Escazu with Inez an Ex Pat who has lived there 20+ years. About $250 per week for a nice studio apt with easy bus and or taxi access to NOVA nearby. I traveled alone and felt very secure. It is a small B&B type set up so you have privacy on the grounds to walk, read or just sit quietly in the mornings and evenings. If you need the implants you have to make 2 trips. About 6 mos apart. I cannot say enough good things about NOVA and I have a real phobia when it comes to Dentists/Oral surgeons! My last trip was October 2012 and I have had absolutely no issues at all with all of the extensive work I had done there. The savings was approx 65% of the "Professionals" here in Florida! Much more sanitary, much more "caring" (I never waited more than 5 min for an appt and the DENTIST called the taxi for me toward the end of each visit AND walked me to the taxi to be sure the driver was clear on my destination, stops etc). I am hesitant to even have a filling done anywhere else after NOVA. Feel free to PM me with any ?s on that choice. It's VERY unusual for me to feel this confident about a Dr or Dentist.

Edited: 9:44 am, May 30, 2013
Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: What is the best option

Did you find someone you liked?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
24 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: What is the best option

Er..... did you read what roadadvisor and obxpat wrote? Two excellent recommendations.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
534 reviews
385 helpful votes
6. Re: What is the best option

When are you going to have work done? I am going to have work done at Nova - February.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: What is the best option

My daughter and I have had 2 visits with Dr. Obando's Nova Dental Clinic. The first trip he did the first portion of daughter's inplant and cleaning and filling for me with a whitening that had disastrous results! My inside upper lip had 3rd degree burns, and all they told me to do when I called was apply Vit E. Our BnB hosts were horrified, and of course, my 2 week vacation plans went out the window due to the level of constant pain, inability to eat or even smile!

We returned just 2 weeks ago for daughter's implant cap and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and requesting a different dentist, went for a deep cleaning. Well this visit was a nightmare!

First let me say that I am a former CEO of a medical institution, and my daughter educated and has had a lot of experience with dental work since a child.

Although the cap for the implant went okay, daughter's experience with her fillings were horrid - deadening shots given too soon for novacaine to take effect, rough treatment of mouth and burning of her gums with electric thing that was used for cleaning. The biggest disappointment came when my daughter wished to give Dr. Obando again the benefit of the 'doubt' and wrote him a follow up letter indicating the rough treatment, lack of proper time allotment which resulted in desired work not being completed, and unprofessional attitude toward patients. He wrote he back a terse note, taking no responsibility and not even an apology. My daughter works internationally and had made it quite plain that she had numerous opportunities to refer her friends to him, but he was quite arrogant. That made her very sad and disappointed. It made me just plain more angry! I have grave doubts that the deep cleaning I received was indeed a deep cleaning, and when I asked if I would be given antibiotics (as is my experience here in the states), the dentist shot a wand of liquid at me to show me , yes see! My prior treatment had taken much more time and care, and the antibiotics was given in a shot form and gum 'pocket' packed. I do not doubt Dr. Obando's personal background, however I would expect him to be responsible for the qualifications and and work of all under his title and in his clinic. It is expensive to stay in CR and with the airfare, you don't want to have to return unless you are planning to use it as a vacation too. We have SERVAS friends as well as Americans living there who have recommended other dentist. I would take the advice of someone you know or contact a local there...but strongly suggest you reconsider Dr. Obando's office. You may contact me if you have further questions or comments.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
51 reviews
73 helpful votes
8. Re: What is the best option

Thank you for your post. I have to say I am very surprised to read of your negative experience at NOVA. As I personally have had excellent work done there and have referred Friends and Family since, also with excellent experiences, I will look into your experience and review!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
51 reviews
73 helpful votes
9. Re: What is the best option

rett..you mention your B&B hosts were "horrified". It is helpful to note they "cared" for you. Where did you stay? Were you pleased with your accomodations? This info helps everyone when planning a visit.

Edited: 8:26 pm, March 01, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
14 posts
10. Re: What is the best option

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at NOVA, Rettaellyn. That clinic is one of the mainstays of both the Topix and Tripadvisor boards. I do appreciate your candor in posting.