We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

We only have a few hours on a Saturday morning to soak up the culture of SJO. What is there to see and do? Thanks so much!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

I would just go down to the area around the National Theater. This is a very active part of downtown San Jose and there are tons of people walking around there. Especially on a Saturday morning, people will be out shopping and is a great area to people watch. (Always send people here, love this area) Then you could walk about 5-10 minutes to the Central Market which is a great view into the everyday here. There are butchers, kiosks for various food stuff, souvenirs and restaurants. Mostly sodas where you can get typical Costa Rican food. I love going downtown on Saturdays after I hit my organic farmer's market.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

The gold museum, one of the best 3 in the American Continent, pay for the guided tour, a bit expensive but worth it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

SJO is the airport code so I hope you;re talking about San Jose and not the airport. There are a number of good museums downtown or just to the west. My favorite is the Jade Museum which is small but has a lot more than jade in it. You can combine a visit here with a walk through the downtown parks and then head west down the pedestrian stretch of the Avenida Central to the Central Market. Or you could start out at the Gold Museum and then visit the National Theater before exploring central parks and the market. See more info at frommers.com/destinations/…42_indattr.html and a map at frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

Keep in mind that the airport SJO is not in San Jose but in Alajuela, about 30 minutes away and about $25 in a taxi.

If you are staying in Alajuela, near the airport, then you can visit Zoo Ave or The Butterfly Farm or just walk around Alajuela a bit, do some shopping or banking and get some ice cream and sit in the Central Park and watch the families.

5. Re: We have about about 3-4 hours to see SJO. What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 23, 2014