We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

Hi,

We will be going on a missions trip to Costa Rica March 30 to April 6, and might stay an extra day to be able to do a few site seeing things. I know we'd love to get to the coast, but wouldn't have enough time, so I was hoping there was something nature related around San Jose that we could do while there. We might be going white water rafting one day during our missions trip, so if there was something else for our one free day, that would be great. My husband loves to hike and we both love nature/mountains/animals, so any of those would be great.

We'd probably be dropped off at the airport along with the rest of the group to fly home, so from there we'd take a taxi/shuttle to a hotel for one night and then would need an activity where we could either take a taxi to it, or have the activity guide pick us up.

Any suggestions would be great. I love trip advisor but as this one is coming up so fast, I don't have much time to sort through all the options (since I want to book airfare soon, so need to know if we'll stay extra or just head back with the group).

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

Stay an extra day. There are lots of options of options except it is not at all clear from your post how much time you have available. Are they dropping you off at the airport at say 1 PM and you will have a flight out the next day at 1 PM? In that case you don't have much time to sightsee or hike. If we're talking about a morning or late evening flight you would definitely have time for a daytrip. Depending on your interests you could head to Poas Volcano Lodge and spend the next day exploring the top of Poas Volcano or you could head to Sarapiqui for a day of hiking in the rainforest or visit the waterfall at Bajas del Toro just west of Poas or head to Carrara Reserve in the early morning for a birding trip. All depends on your timing.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

Contact http://explornatura.com/ for a great day trip rafting

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

Thanks for the ideas. I just learned that if we stay an extra day, the mission trip would just be extended so unfortunately this time around we won't have any extra touring time to ourselves. Oh well! Always a reason to come back again :)

4. Re: Missions trip- 1 day in San Jose after- what to do (nature)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 21, 2014