We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

I was going solo but managed to recruit a good friend for an expedition out to Costa Rica January 9-12 2013. I was wondering when it would be too late to book hotels in costa rica in january the peak season.

Ideally we wanted to make our trip pretty spontaneous checking into hotels as we go, staying how many days we felt we needed. But reading the forums and how january is peak season, I was concerned that we'd need to have our exact itinerary date by date nailed down.

The cities we'll be visiting:

san jose

arenal

monteverde

manual antonio

tamarindo

Thanks in advance!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

The really good places will book up before mediocre ones.

Mediocre ones will book up before bad ones do.

Especially in Monteverde. But, the most in-demand places in Arenal and Manuel Antonio may already be booked up as well.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

oh no!!! sounds like we should book now. Thanks for the response racandee!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

i've done a similar trip in the past where we would stay in a place until we'd done it all or leave right away if we didn't like it too much. we researched lots of hotels and made a list of at least three places for each area. arenal being quite popular we had four or five hotels, same for montezuma.

Los Angeles...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

we are booking right now for a 12/29 thru Jan 10 trip. Much of the correspondence is thru emails as some places dont book online.

i'd get started asap. good luck!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

We've started booking. Thanks for the advice! Wow only 2months to go already getting excited!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

The same applies to car rental, Jonathan, the best companies with the best prices will sell out fast. I don't know if you decided whether or not to rent but you might want to get cracking with that too!

7. Re: When is it too late to book hotels for 2 weeks in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 03, 2013