We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe taking the official taxis?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Travelers Rest...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safe taking the official taxis?

Hi all,

This sudden work trip for a month to San Jose will be my first international trip, and I will be solo. I will have a stipend for taxi rides, but my husband (Colombian) is nervous about piratas and people messing with the Maria (the meter). He is worried about me being alone since I'm "Incredibly American" and my travelling Spanish has a very American accent.

Be honest, please. How likely is it for "someone like me" to be safe? In comparison to the very large city in Colombia where my husband is from?

Cheers!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe taking the official taxis?

Not comparisson to any Colombian large city...of course like anywhere today...COMMON SENSE!

Once you get to your place maybe nice to ask a coworker or a person at your place to stay ...about a nice cab driver...many people that I know they have the same driver picking them up daily...

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe taking the official taxis?

As a solo male visitor to San Jose I have not had any bad experiences with taxis or taxi drivers. For short trips they tend to charge a set amount, but for longer trips (across town, from one barrio to another) they will turn on the meter.

I don't think your accent will matter too much as long as they can understand you. Just tell them where you're going and ask how much. The exchange rate is pretty easy (about 500 colones for $1 USD), but I would plan on paying in colones.

As far as other safety concerns it is generally recommended to take taxis after dark almost anywhere in San Jose. Leave your expensive looking jewelry/watches/clothing at home. There's a great traveler article on safety - see the main Costa Rica forum page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g291982-c162840/Costa…

As roadadvisor suggested: if you find you're needing a taxi to/from work at the same time everyday you could make an arrangement with a driver. Most will have a cell phone and may give you a business card to contact them.

If you're feeling more adventurous you could try the local bus system. Depending on where you're traveling to/from it may not be as convenient, but will give you a chance to meet some people and see another side of the city.

Travelers Rest...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe taking the official taxis?

Thank you both for your prompt and kind answers! I am looking forward to this trip and appreciate the response!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe taking the official taxis?

You are WELCOME!

roadadvisor

5. Re: Safe taking the official taxis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, December 14, 2013