We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to kill in/near SJO

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles CA
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Time to kill in/near SJO

We have a group of people leaving Costa Rica in December and have 5-6 hours to kill in between departures. 3-4 with security and such. We will have a driver so should we go somewhere for lunch or sightsee or both. Any ideas would be appreciated

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

I would suggest the doka coffee tour or a city tour of San Jose

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

Really depends where are you coming from...to check at SJO...even that 5 hours sounds like a long time in our roads is not that long...it time some good time going almost anywhere!

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

A nice scenic drive up the mountains towards Poas Volcano. There are some nice restaurants to have a good coffee of some typical food. Roadadvisor knows some nice places up there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

Another suggestion is to hire a taxi driver to take you to Zoo Ave, a small & charming, beautifully landscaped zoo roughly 20 minutes west of the airport. You could easily spend 1.5-2 hours enjoying the zoo which is frequently nearly deserted (and I'm really not a zoo person) www.zooave.org Follow up with lunch at a simple restaurant just down the road - La Fiesta del Maiz or the more touisty Las Delicias del Maiz. Be sure and pay your driver to wait for you so there's no issue getting back to the airport.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

Zoo Ave is a nice idea - your entrance fee will go towards helping more animals that have been taken from the wild to be pets.

los angeles CA
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

I'm coming from Manuel Antonio, maybe I should just enjoy the house and MA a few hours longer. I was hopeing there would be something interesting to see to kill time. The coffee plantation tour sounds fun so I should investigate that further. Maybe a nice restaurant with a view could work, any ideas ?

Thanks again for the help

Skijimbo

7. Re: Time to kill in/near SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 14, 2013