We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for teen volunteering in San Jose

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
7 posts
Save Topic
Advice for teen volunteering in San Jose

My college-age daughter will be volunteering with a GoEco program in San Jose for two weeks this summer. She will be placed with a family and will stay in their home. She will be working at an orphanage.

Any words of advice, tips for safety, things to do during her free time (I think she gets the weekend during the middle of her stay off so she might be able to travel a little outside of the city then, otherwise she will likely be mostly in the city working), sites in the city she shouldn't miss, and anything she should bring with her to make her stay more pleasant and fun?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for teen volunteering in San Jose

I had to give this request some thought, as my own daughter has rocketed past college/university to a busy business exec., and the one thing she gave me was a Kindle style book reader with a great bunch of some neat reads. I might suggest that she doesn't bring expensive electronics, as they can quickly disappear, but might I suggest an inexpensive Flip style video recorder to document her trip and help her create a memory. I am sure someone will take her under their wing (CR/Spanish people are some of the warmest and friendliest in the world) and show her what SJ has to offer, and a visit to SJ Centro and the pedestrian walkway to window shop and enjoy a McD's (her preference of course), and there is a downtown movie theater with some first run stuff. There is a good selection of museums like the Gold and the Jade if she is interested in some history, and as to out of town?...well via bus anything is a good half day away, like a volcano (Poas is probably closest) to say she saw one.

A separate suitcase with gently used kewl clothes goes a long way, but other than a cheap unlocked 3G phone to make a few local calls (gotta accept a SIM card), most other stuff is available.

Congrats on the very noble cause, and stay safe.

2. Re: Advice for teen volunteering in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, June 23, 2013