We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cottonwood, AZ
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

My family is arriving in San Jose in early May and driving to MA area. Based on what I have read here on tripadvisor it seems the best / most cost effective plan would be to rent at a location near the airport. I've look at Alamo, Toyota and another one (forgetting which) and they only give me the SJO option (which means another 13% in tax). Can someone help me with a good car rental company that would be close to the airport to avoid the extra fees? Also we land early (5:30am or so) - if we rent off airport will that require that we wait alot longer as the offices may not be open on a Saturday at that early hour?

Thanks so much!

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

Because it was the millenium it was a disaster!, but yes, we had a good laugh after the fact.:) love Costa Rica!!

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

We have a 7am flight on Sept 15th out of SJO…..so I think it would be best to return the rental car off the day before when the office is open and then I do not have to worry about the rental on the day of our flight. Any suggestions on good car company to do this with/ good pick up/ drop off location kinda thing or hotel suggestions for the final night. First time traveller to Costa Rica. We are taking our 3 and 5 year old for a month so any suggestions on appreciated :)

I have been emailing with Tricolor and they are suggesting I just leave their car with the keys locked in the glove box in the airport lot in front of the departure gate since they would be closed at 4am when I need to drop off the car. They said they will just find it and use the spare key…. this would of course solve our problems and we can use rental to get to the airport but something just tells me this is likely a bad idea which could backfire with extra fees or charges...

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

Leaving the car with the keys locked in it is fairly common I think. Expect to be charged for the parking ticket though.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

Last time i have dropped the keys into the "key box" I received a call from the rental company if I intend to use the car further. Heck, I was already 1 week back from Malta!! Luckily they found the keys and later also the car at the airport parking lot (my photo of the car helped them a lot). Also, having a signed document that you have returned the car without being damaged is very helpful if a bogus payment claim hit your c/c.

So, do wiser and return the car beforehand. As for the hotel, we always stay our first and last night at Adventure Inn, about 15 min by car/shuttle from the airport. The transfer to the airport is included in the price of the room. The hotel rooms are large, it is a smaller hotel in a safe hood and it even has a pool.

Edited: 2:26 pm, July 31, 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

WOW...yes Economy is not good news Muniz family have the worst costumer service around...once they have the money...they forget about the costumer....

roadadvisor

26. Re: Car Rental NEAR San Jose Airport, Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 02, 2015