We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

My flight leaving Costa Rica is going to be around 12:55am, so I don't want to be returning a rental vehicle in the evening outside of the airport.

Is there a car rental place IN the actual airport so we can have a safe return of the car late at night?

thanks

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

No - no actual agencies are actually located within the airport. While they all have a small rental booth there, cars are picked up and dropped off in close proximity to the airport.

None of that really matters, though. Some rental agencies are located close to the Hampton Inn/Denny's - basically just across from the airport. You get off the highway just one exit earlier and then take the shuttle bus to the airport...

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

There is no rental company at the airport, most are near by, you need to ask them what their return policy is. They will have to check for damages with you upon return. They will shuttle you back to airport.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

I rented from Alamo.. they were very cose to the airport.. about 4 minutes away.

Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

I have heard that San Jose at night is unsafe, especially if its just me and my girlfriend carting our luggage, I want to rent from a place that won't leave us out in a dangerous area.

Any suggestions from people who are familiar with that area and what might be the best place to work with at that hour?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

Well, the airport is not in San Jose - it is in Alajuela, which is quite a bit safer than, say, Downtown SJ.

Simply dropping off a rental car will not be a problem - Economy and a few others are right next to the Hampton Inn, Alamo is just down the road. Especially the area around the Hampton Inn is well lit and there are guards on the premises.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

What I am trying to say is that you won't be carting your luggage around. You enter the rental car lot, hand over the car, enter the shuttle, and are driven to the terminal entrance. Most of the rental agencies are just off the highway - there are no dark back roads to take, no unlit streets to get lost on.

I think Dollar is probably the farthest away from the airport - but even going there at night wouldn't make me blink.

Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

thanks for the reassurance everyone.

does anybody know of any reputable places that are cheap and close to the airport?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

I use National, which I think is co-located with Alamo. Not far from the airport. I haven't price-shopped.

I agree with the others that it's safe. There's a gated area, a security guard, the van that takes you from their lot right to the airport.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

I've used Thrifty, National/Alamo, Poas and Toyota rent a car. all agencies are in same area..more or less...check the web site and compare prices...dont forget to add the manditory insurance....you can also call the offices direct and work out a great deal if your flexible.

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals AT San Jose Airport?

Friends of ours rented from Tricolor. Office near airport, less expensive than Poas and others. Great service and vehicle.