We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale and...
10 posts
Save Topic
driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

I am considering driving from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. I have been told that the road is newly paved and runs through mountains. Because Costa Rica has a reputation for agressive drivers and rain in mid November, I am trying to assess the safety issue. Is this two lanes in each directions or one. I 'm not a timid driver and have driven in some "wild" places.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

From San Jose to San Mateo one line each direction...from there on and off two lines...good road...very much like driving in Alligator Alley!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

We went from SJO to Arenal and then to MA and back to SJO. Driving is not as bad. More than 'wild' what happens is that you might get behind some slow trucks and be stuck behind them for miles as you go on the winding and steep roads. Almost impossible to overtake since you cannot see the oncoming traffic (winding roads). If you are patient enjoy the scenary and drive.

Fort Lauderdale and...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

thank you all for the information. It's much appreciated

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

My husband and I have done it, and agree that it's a beautiful drive...the scenery is spectacular in some areas. I would personally schedule my trip so as not to have to drive across those mountains after dark, though.

Fort Lauderdale and...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Again Thank you to all who responded . The information is much appreciated

Hedon2

6. Re: driving fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 12, 2009