We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near El Pueblo area?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baltimore, md
5 posts
Save Topic
hotel near El Pueblo area?

Have seen references to hotels near this district but have only found one - Hotel Villa Tournon.

Does anyone know of others - either to stay at or avoid?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

I normally stay at The Best Western Downtown only a $1 cab ride from El Pueblo..Most of the hotels walking distance from El Pueblo are mostly used as MOTELS..If you know what I mean..

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

That is the only one I know of that is that close (1 block). There are others a little further away but still within walking distance. However you're probably not going to want to walk much further than a block or two after dark, particularly with cabs to most areas of downtown costing you only $1-2. Once you get in a cab does it really matter if you're in that immediate area or a few blocks further? There are many nice hotels in that NE end of downtown.

However if you'd still prefer to be closer to El Pueblo consider the Radisson (2-3 blocks w. of El Pueblo) or returning south towards downtown, there are the Clarion Amon Plaza, Inca Real, Brittania and the Dunn Inn. All of those are only about 5 blocks away from El Pueblo on Ave 11 between Calle 3 and 5. Those hotels all have more charm than the Best Western (Ave 7 and Calle 6) which is about 7 blocks further away in the NW section of downtown and in kind of a rough neighborhood.

San Jose
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

The Radision is near El Pueblo only a few blocks away and is very safe., take a taxi for a $1.00

San Jose
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

Avoid the area of the Best Western and the other mention , Some areas of SJ can be rough at night even for a man.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

For what its worth all the hotels mentioned in my previous post have been reviewed here much higher than the Radisson, which currently ranks at only 65 out of the 98 hotels reviewed here. The area around the BW is known for gang activity. OTOH, the area around the Amon is nowhere near as dangerous as monkey makes it sound. I wouldn't recommend ANY area of SJ for a single woman to be walking around after dark, but stepping out of a cab into a lobby should be absolutely no problem. The much larger problem I have with places like the BW or the Radisson is that they have the antiseptic sameness of all american chains. But then some people feel more comfortable with that. Another place where I've stayed a couple of times that is only 2 blocks from the group I already mentioned is the Don Carlos. Again once you get in a cab there is no real reason to even limit yourself to any of these places.

costa rica
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near El Pueblo area?

I would agree 100% with Prolijo. The Dunn Inn, Brittania and Don Carlos would give you much more local flavor than the Radisson.

Hotel Vesuvio is also a very nice B & B and the Hemingway Inn too has its fans. None are more than $2.50 cab ride from El Pueblo.