We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

chicago
4 posts
Save Topic
San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi,

I am considering a trip to San Jose for Dental implants. This is supposed to be one of the top destinations for this.

Has anyone traveled there for this purpose?

Can you advise on your experience there?

Which dentist/oral surgeon did you use?

What was the total experience like?

Are there any other forums that anyone knows about for the purpose of sharing this type of medical tourism info.?

Thanks in advance!

234 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
191. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

EasyGoingGal: I've been reading many stories of people going to CR for all types of surgery. Facelifts, nose jobs, breast augmentation, gastro, neurology and so on and so on. Check out CIMA Hospital. Scroll down this link to see list of services: www.hospitalsanjose.net/medicos_cima.aspx

Also there are medical retreats which are like small hotels or B&B's which cater to medical tourists. They will take you and bring you back from your appointments. They have people employed who are like medical assistants to help you while staying at the retreats.

Here is one I've heard good things about and considered myself for my upcoming dental work stay: http://www.surgery-retreat.com/ I bet you can contact the owner and they can help refer you to a hospital, doctor or clinic based on what type of treatment your looking for.

Good luck

Alaska
4 posts
Save Reply
192. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Thanks RJ Portland, I believe u are right. Definitely going to Castro! Feeling much better about it all:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
193. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I have been going to Prisma Dental since 2005.

They have every specialty under one roof which is very convenient. The professionalism of the staff is

extraordinary. The offices are immaculate. Most everyone speaks English.

Drs. Telma Rubenstein & Jose Cordero are the owners. Dr. Cordero did my 4 implants & my dentist

here in NYC complimented me on his work. Dr. Rubenstein did my crowns.

My friend Barbara had a lot of work, crowns, implants, 6 root canals. She is very happy with their work.

Check out their website. They keep up with all the latest technology in dentistry by going to dental conferences here in the states & elsewhere.

Edited: 12:08 pm, October 18, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
194. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

If I saw an employee text while working on me, I would flip out.

There is so much competition and excellent dentists in Costa Rica that no one should have to put up with

that type of nonsense.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
416 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
195. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I have just returned from CR for dental work. I used Dr. Anglada (extraction, implants) and his partner, Dr. Castro. (bridges) for 2 extractions, two implants and a bridge between them and the gap in between. They do superb work and will schedule a few appointments after the work is done to make sure you are conmfortable.Their English is fine. You work via email through Bill Escalante, fluent in both languages, and located in their offices. Their prices are about mid-range for dentists in CR, and of course much cheaper than the US. They picked us up at the airport for both trips. They do expect to be paid in cash. I will use them again if and when I need more dental work.

196. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, February 20, 2014

197. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, December 18, 2014

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
198. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I've been there and had implants and am glad to relate my experiences. The best site I found about implants and Costa Rica is the TOPIX site.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
199. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Dr. Anglada is one of the top implant doctors in CR. I used him, excellent work. His partner is Dr. Castro, he does the cosmetic side. Excellent dentists all around. I had 10 implants and other intensive work. Re built my mouth. One-third the cost of US doctors.

byron v.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
200. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Aventura4 -- I'm confused. Why would anyone place 16 implants on top?? Adults don't even have that many natural upper teeth after having their wisdom teeth extracted....

Dee

Reply to: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted