We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

We are definitely going to spend one night there, on the way back. But, just getting there, should we spend a night there and a full day, or head out to start our trip in Poas?

Thank you.

Eppy68

A nice place
Level Contributor
836 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

Good to know that someone (Eppy68) appreciates what San Jose has to offer! At first sight it might not look very appealing, but it's definitely worth a visit. In the daytime you can explore the museums and the town and in the evening go to a theater or a concert. Have a look at www.whereincostarica.com for events.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

Hi, not a CR or SJ expert, but I can give you my views. I just got back and spent only an afternoon in SJ which was definitely not enough. First of all, I was overwhelmed and confused, even with a map, and I'm not one to be easily overwhelmed and confused by cities. This was partially due to the limited amount of time I had. But, it's also due to the confusing nature of the city. I can't pinpoint why exactly other than the lack of street signs and addresses in many places. I think spending 1 day and a night in SJ would have been beneficial. I stayed at the Marriott which is out near the airport. I definitely made a conscious decision to do this because I wanted to just relax out there and was travelling alone as a single female and was a bit freaked out by all the hype. I also originally thought I'd have more time in the city. Anyway, I didn't feel it was as unsafe as everyone (including guidebooks) made it out to be. It was overwhelming and confusing and I can see how it would be easy for pickpockets to lift something from you at times, but in general, I wasn't even so much as glared at by a man. I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. I went to the gold museum, because my friend that I met up with and I had a hard time orienting ourselves and found that one first! It was okay, but honestly, a very quick trip (we read everything and were there about an hour).

NHcouple, snarky much? I and other people go to museums as adults. I think the point of many posters is that their primary reason for their trip is some aspect of CR's natural grandeur...and I do think that wins out over the city's cultural offerings. I can go for free to the Smithsonian institution any time I want which I really think would win out in a museum competition...that's based on my visit to the Gold Museum...I can't speak for SJ's other museums as I didn't have time for them on this trip. If I had to choose between seeing wildlife in CR and seeing a museum, I'd choose the former.

It's a matter of what your priorities are.

Dublin, GA
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

In May 2005 our family spent 10 days in Costa Rica. We spent two days in San Jose, a few days in Manuel Antonio, and a couple of days in the central valley (Poas, etc.) I feel we got an excellent "sampling" of the country and its people. If it's a first trip, I recommend variety. Just as in the U.S., the cities, suburbs, and rural areas all have something to offer the visitor.

14. Re: To stay in S.J. or not to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 28, 2009