We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

My husband and I will be arriving in San Jose at around noon on Saturday April 12 and we'd like to stay one or two nights (my husband thinks the transportation out of the city won't be available until Monday vs. Sunday - is that true?)

Here is what we are looking for:

Not right in the city centre - a bit quieter, yet a walk or short cab ride to San Jose attractions i.e. museums, restaurants etc.. (in a relatively safe area would be great!)

A small, clean, Costa Rican Hotel or B&B with a local feel. (not a big chain hotel)

Preferably under $100 per night.

We contacted the Hotel Don Carlos and they are booked.

Here are the others on our list;

Hotel Aranjuez (going to call them today!)

Fleur de Lys Hotel

Casa 69

La Gioconda House Hotel

Kap's Place

Any recommendations or tips on this places are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

Not sure why you think there will be no transportation till Monday. No sure what you determined as your first stop. However if it is the place near San Isidro you mentioned in a nearlier post, and you still plan public bus - you can do Sunday (or actually even Saturday afternoon.

But if you want to stay in San Jose, its your choice. Most people try to avoid it - but there are things to do and see. However, I am not 100% sure of what will be open or closed on a Sunday.

Of the hotels you list, I have only stayed at the Aranjuez. I found it an excellent value. The breakfast is really good. Kaps Place is right across the street - but I only know what I have read about it.

Cafe Mundo which is fairly close is supposed to be excellent.

raquel

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

Thanks Raquel for the info.

We have changed our plan to go up to Arenal/La Fortuna first and then work our way back around to (possibly) Monteverde (if not, we will spend more time in San Isidro area plus Osa when we get down south), then Manual Antonio and then to the South.

My husband went to Peru last May and there wasn't much transport available on Sundays. I think that is why he thinks that but I think CR is quite different. Sounds like the buses are great.

We are getting very excited about our trip!

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

While we haven't stayed there yet (not until July) we have booked our first and last night at Pura Vida B&B in Alajuela. I have to say that they have been the best yet at replying and answering all of my questions very promptly. If their place is as good as there communication with us , it will be a winner.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

We avoid staying in San Jose and we stay in Alajuela all the time.

We stayed at Pura Vida B&B last year for 2 nights (we had the Orchid Room) and loved it.

This year (in 2 weeks) we will be staying at Vida Tropical (http://www.vidatropical.com/). We heard only good things about this place and we decided to give it a try. They also helped us hiring a private driver for some day trips, we did not really want to take tours. I hope to post a great review about this place when we come back.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

Thanks everyone! We have booked our first night at Aranjuez. We are going to check out the Pura Vida B&B for the way back.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

We send our guests to Casa 69 and have always had very good feedback.

7. Re: So many Hotel/B&B choices - your recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 24, 2009