We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one hotel and one hotel ONLY

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
one hotel and one hotel ONLY

if you were given he choice of staying at only 1 hotel to stay in costa rica for 12 days, which would you pick. keep in mind, food, service, access to rain forest activities, canaopy activities, beach activities, MAYBE a zip line ( we are in our late 50'S) just don't feel like we want to pack and unpack, unless it maybe for the last few days at the beach. Has anyone had similar experience?

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one hotel and one hotel ONLY

We have not been there yet, but the one we picked after exhaustive research was Fleurs de Lys. Check out their web site.

We had basically the same idea as you, but changed our minds after studying the tour books and reading hundreds of comments on Tripdvisor. We are going to Fortuna (Arenal Volcano) by bus for 2 nights (self guided, staying at Arenal Observatory Lodge) and going to Tortuguera for two nights (guided). Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one hotel and one hotel ONLY

While Fleur de Lys is a fine hotel, it is located in the downtown area and I would not make it my one hotel to stay at while in Costa Rica. Bein in San Jose for the entire time kind of defeats the purpose of being in Costa Rica.

I can see staying at the following hotels for a while:

Close to San Jose: Peace Lodge

Arenal: Lost Iguana

Papagayo area: Four Seasons or PPC

Tamarindo area: Cala Luna

etc.

I have a hard time staying at one hotel for an entire week and can't really imagine staying anywhere for that long. However, I suppose if I had to, I could live quite well with any of the hotels listed above.

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one hotel and one hotel ONLY

Just returned from CR. Stayed in Hotel Jirah at La Fortuna for 1 night. $65 Bed and Breakfast. Great. Excellent for all sort of tours etc. We are 50 and 59. Likewise, not keen on packing and unpacking. You could stay here for 5-6 nights and do various activity tours, get the Interbus to Playa Carillo (although they say they only go to Samara, the driver will take you on to Playa Carillo- 7K) and stay at Hotel Esperanza for a 4-5 nights. Fantastic beach, great sunsets and if you need to visit Samara its only $2 in a taxi (or use the local bus). We were in CR for 3 weeks and used local buses, Interbus, fantasy bus and taxis - no need to hire a car. Have a good trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
945 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one hotel and one hotel ONLY

If you really mean only ONE hotel only for 12 days, consider the Marriott Los Suenos, perhaps one of the rentals/timeshares on the hill to reduce expense and so that you have a kitchen for some meals and snacks.

The hotel has good (if Americanized) food, nice pool, swim up bar, etc. It is less than 2 hours from SJO, yet is on the edge of the rainforest (as opposed to Guanacaste area which is drier). It is within an hour or so of canopy tour/zip lines, two national parks -- Manuel Antonio and Carerra (sp?) -- for wildlife viewing, the hanging bridges, the crocs at Tarcoles, boat tour to the island just off the coast, and Jaco (which is a busy surf town but within 10 minutes for variety of bars/restaurants). Hotel is on an estuary so you can kayak, etc.

The beach at the hotel is so-so (hard, brown sand), but there are nice sand beaches very closeby. Also, from Jaco, you can take the watertaxi to Montezuma (at the base of the Nicoya Peninsula) which would be a fun day or overnight trip to somewhere a bit more remote. Or, for the last few days, go up to Arenal to see the volcano - it is about 4+ hours to get there, but the drive from Arenal to SJO is only a couple of hours.

Marriott's two grand hotels (one near SJO and the other here) are very nicely designed and service is excellent. The hotel is very popular with well-to-do Tico families on weekends (probably because it is such an easy drive from town) and the pool area can be crowded with kids on Saturdays... maybe plan an excursion that day!

5. Re: one hotel and one hotel ONLY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 19, 2009