We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Tecumseh, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Hi everyone-Everyone on these forums has always been SO HELPFUL AND KIND! I have another question.

My husband and I would like to travel to Costa Rica in May or June '08 and stay in Montezuma...Hotel El Jardin, maybe...not sure if we want to do a resort--Ylang-Ylang or Tango Mar--that's another question!

Is there a way to make the drive from San Jose to Montezuma WITHOUT hopping on a ferry in Puntarenas? We're thinking of allowing ourselves the day after our arrival in San Jose to do the drive (staying in San Jose for the night, drive by day)...vice versa for the return. Maybe, we'll leave the car in Montezuma and return to San Jose by ferry/taxi/tour etc for our return trip back to the states...we'll see.

I'm not thrilled about catching the ferry to Paquera...I'd much rather drive the entire way and I'm a GREAT driver.

Any thoughts? PLEASE ADVISE, all you local experts!I really appreciate it! Thanks and Happy New Year!

Toni Lee (tonilf)

Barrio Bird Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Best Of Costa Rica DMC
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

We are from Toronto and am heading to Mal Pais next wk and will stay at the El Jardin Jan 14th before taking the water taxi back to Jaco. Then it is about 1.5 or 2 hrs to San Jose. There is a road and bridge I believe that is north of Punterenas(going over), although not sure of the road conditions. We are actually arriving into San Jose at 2:32 and have a driver taking us to Mal Pais first day. And yes we will have to take the ferry. Unfortunately in our case it will likely be dark as I have heard that it is actually a pretty trip. Good luck. Why not email your hotel in Montezuma, they will know

Tecumseh, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Thanks so much for your response! Contacting the hotel is actually a great idea. After discussing the traveling and driving stuff with my husband, we're now weighing our options in Guanacaste, say Playa Hermosa, which wouldn't be my first choice but, I can't complain. I just want to see Costa Rica. I've been told it is so beautiful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

You can do it without taking the ferry but it's a LOT longer. By not taking the ferry you have to drive an extra 100 miles. Then stretch between Naranjo and Paquera is pretty bad. The detour would probably add another 2 hours to the trip. The ferry is easy and give you a relaxing break from the drive.

Why so reluctant to take the ferry?

Tecumseh, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Hi Sean...thanks so much for your helpful post! I don't know what my reluctancy is all about...I guess we just got back from St. Lucia and it was a lot of transferring and traveling, etc for a lot of nothing. We're just very disappointed at this point, so... I also have a few physical limitations, so I'm a bit concerned about transfer points and all.

We're re-thinking the whole trip and we may stay in Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste instead. Even though it's a 4 hr drive, or so, From San Jose, it doesn't invlove a stay In San Jose, then a next day drive, etc., plus transfers. Flying into Liberia from Detroit would raise our airfare from $220 (on Spirit) to over $660 (on American Airlines, I think)...so, that's not an option.

I'd rather be in Montezuma but...anywhere is GREAT!

Do you have some thoughts on this, Sean?

Thanks

Toni

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Just take the ferry and enjoy Montezuma. The ferry only involves getting a ticket, driving onto the ferry and then hanging out and enjoying the scenery as you go across the bay.

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

I agree w/Sean ... so much better than Guanacaste .. prettier and all. My brother went to that area and he has a totally different idea of what Costa Rica is. He went in the winter and said he found it to be a dust bowl. I went more to the middle area and thought it was much more lush (even though the winter is the dry season). And the ferry is a piece of cake. It is also a short drive from Mal Pais/Santa Teresa .. which is supposed to be nice. There is also a flight that goes to Tambor (1/2 hr)from San Jose, then a 45 min ride from there to Montezuma. Good luck

Tecumseh, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

Well, thanks again SO MUCH everyone, for all your help! Now I'm even rethinking when we should go 'cause I know that May-June is still the "dry" season. Maybe we should go as it gets a bit into the green season...although not too into it! Toni Lee

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

May June is well into the wet season. We have only been in the dry season .. 1st in March, then in Feb, and now next wk. Dry ends in April. I have found the central Pacific to be lovely even then ... lush when you get to the parks like Manual Antonio. but they cut a lot of the brush back in the winter months so that it can grow like crazy during the wet season. My brother found it to be not lush at all in the north areas in the dry season.

9. Re: Driving ALL THE WAY from San Jose to Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 16, 2009