We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

in our late 20's, would like to go dancing or out for a good drink then back to our safe and cozy hotel and we fly out the next day

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

Presidente Hotel. Very good. Around block from Key Largo restuarant and bar with live band and dance floor. Very lively at night.

A nice place
Level Contributor
867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

You could go to El Pueblo (mixed), Vertigo (electronic) or La Cantina (mostly typical).

A nice place
Level Contributor
867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

I was too fast, you are looking for the hotel and not the places to go to dance. You could stay directly in the Best Western Irazu where the La Cantina is. The Presidente is ok as well as the El Ambassador or Grano de Oro, depends on how much you want to spent.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

I actually have a similar question regarding hotels.

I will be in Costa Rica at Los Suenos for Presidents Day weekend. Last few times I was in Costa Rica we hit traffic on the way to the airport and almost missed our flights. I would like to rent a room on Monday for the night, and fly out Tuesday this time around.

I have heard Escazu is a nice area around San Jose. There is a Courtyard Marriott there, which is an option.

How far is this from the airport? Is there places close to go if we wanted to have a drink? Would anyone recommend another hotel? How far is this from the area of San Jose where most of the nightlife is (pueblo, and other bars mentioned)?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

If you want a nice, safe place IN the city, you might try Don Carlos. We like it. :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

Unless it has changed drastically since it has been renovated, I would NOT recommend Key Largo for a night out - especially if dagmaras is a female... It may be lively but it does not have the greatest reputation.

El Pueblo which has already been recommended, is a better bet.

As for hotels - since it is not recommended to walk around at night in San Jose, you will be taking a cab anyway. So its not necessary to pick the hotel based on proximity to nightlife. Don Carlos and Grano D'Oro get good reviews.

raquel

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

flyer3Four,

In response to your queries about the San Jose Courtyard Marriott :

I stayed there for a few days this October and liked the hotel. Service and amenities were good. It seemed well run.

It is about 20 minutes to the airport. (of course depending on time of day and traffic)

next door is a large plaza called Plaza Itskatzu - a pretty upscale place that has lots of bars and restaurants of all kinds as well as some shops. Some of the places like Hooters and the Outback Steakhouse, you might not want to bother with in Costa Rica.... But you'll definitely find places to eat and have a drink.

The drawback to the hotel is that it is sort of in the middle of a highway - so except to the Plaza next door, there is really nowhere you can walk. It is close to the Multiplaza - a large mall with a pretty good food court. But that's probably not what you would seek out either.... At certain hours they have a shuttle that will take you there.

It is however not that close to El Pueblo. But a cab wouldn't be that expensive if you decided to go there. I do however think that the real action at El Pueblo is on weekends and a Monday night would probably be fairly quiet there.

Pura vida,

raquel

8. Re: safe and nice hotel near nightlife in san jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 14, 2009