We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Costa Rica

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
Car Rental Costa Rica

I'm going to travel to Costa Rica on November 2nd and I've been searching for car rental many hours.

And I'm worried.

Someone can help me and tell the best company to rent a car and the total price per day?

With all the insurance I think the minimum is 50 USD per day.

What do you think about amigos4x4suvrental?

Thank you

15 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
23 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

Never heard of them. We have rented with Vamos, Adobe, Toyota, Solid and Budget. Be sure the quote you receive includes mandatory 3rd party liability insurance. If you don't have proof of CDW you will need to pay for that as well. $50/day is pretty much a minimum and I would expect higher costs at Thanksgiving which brings lots of US visitors to Costa Rica..

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,788 posts
62 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

At least the web site is not a one-page only. However I have my doubts with the lack of essential informations available. I would think that Peter (Pedro) would invest some of earnings of past years into offering clearer info for his clients. As I am not that great at being a test driver I would pass on this offer.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

Thanks.

The amigo company is a good company? We can trust them?

I saw one sedam 4 days for 200 usd. 60 usd for renting and 130 for the cdw insurance.

It is possible drive sedan on the costa rica roads?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
51 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

A sedan will work for some areas. Where do you plan to visit?

I recommend Vamos. They have a great website and explain the pricing. You won't find a much lower cost from any other reputable company.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

Vamos. Yes. I wrote amigo, but I wanted to say vamos. The price is for vamos.

I am thinking rent a car in san jose and visit

poas Vulcan

Arenal

Monteverd

Manuel Antônio

Then return to san jose and delivery the car.

The by bus

San jose - tartuguero- puerto viejo - bocas del toro - san jose

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
111 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

Vamos is one of the best companies to use...

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

I think I will rent the car only to visit Paos-Arenal-Monteverd and then I will delevry the car and go by bus to Park Manuel Antonio by bus.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
10,818 posts
72 reviews
187 helpful votes
8. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

San José to Manuel Antonio/Quepos area is quite easy by bus. See the terminal info here: https:/… . Directo buses are better. You will end up at the bus terminal in the town of Quepos. Lots of accommodations there are located between Quepos and Manuel Antonio park. As long as you are not staying too far from the main Rd., it should be easy to get to Quepos or to the park and a public beach outside he park by a local bus, which goes a few times an HR. We used that local bus in that area and paid in colones. We also found that tour prices in that area included hotel pick up and drop of. Remember that the park is closed on Mondays.

For transportation options to S. Caribbean, see https:/…transport-to-puerto-viejo.php . Buses to Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, etc. start from a different bus terminal in San Jose city, called Transp. Mepe. See the bus schedule on the above site. Note that the main Hwy to get there has been undergoing long-term construction, which might extend the typical transfer times. If arriving to your destination after dark, especially with luggage, you might need to rely on your hotel owner's advance recommendations re the best way to get to them from the bus terminal - e.g., a taxi.

We also used prepaid shared shuttle vans - e.g., from Interbus, PleasureRideCR, there is also Caribeshuttle.

You can use Caribeshuttle for getting to Tortuguero, for ex. Shuttles cost more than buses, but in some cases, convenience might be worth the price difference. They are hotel to hotel. We booked them on line or by phoning their CR #.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
51 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

You can do that and then continue with the rest of your plans. You don't say how many days you have. To do all of this, I hope that you have at least two weeks.

Since you are traveling during the rainy season, and driving up to Monteverde, I do not recommend the sedan. You'll want the higher clearance of an SUV.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Car Rental Costa Rica

I am thinking o that:

Day1 San Jose ( rent a car)

Day2 - vulcan Poas

Day2 - sleep at Arenal/ La Fortuna

Day3 - see Vulan Arenal/ La Fortuna

Day4 - Monteverde

Day5 - Monteverde - San Jose (

delivery car)

Day6 Morning ( travel by direct

Public bus to Manuel Antonio )

Day7 - Manuel Antonio

Day8 - Manuel Antonio to San Jose

Day8 - San Jose to Porto Viejo

Day9 - Porto Viejo

Day10 - Bocas del Toro

Day11 to day 13 Bocas del Toro

Day12- San Jose - End

It is a good plan? And I only rent a cae for the trip San Jose - Poas- Arenal- Monteverde. I think it is the worst part to travel by public transport

Reply to: Car Rental Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted