We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

Chicago
13 posts
First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

My family & I will be in San Jose for the first time for 4 days at the end of this month. I have 2 kids (14yo & 7yo) and were wondering what tours we could do as a family.

I think our 'musts' are the Arenal Volcano and hot springs, I saw a 1 day tour for this. I think my kids would like to see some wildlife. Any recommendations on which tour to take?

Other considerations are a day at the beach or the San Jose city tour. Any other places that you would recommend or are a must do? Because of our limited time, we are trying to capture as much of CR as possible.

Also, any tour operators that you would recommend for these?

Thank you in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,643 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

One day tours out of San Jose city ... a proper nightmare, IMO. Yet if you are obliged to sleep in the city due to other obligations then there are day tours that will bring you to different parts of Costa Rica. Bear in mind that apart Cartago and Orosi valley/Irazu, all other destinations are between 2-4 hrs away, one way! Your hotel will be able to offer and book you all the available tours; you can gt a sample of what will be on offer here: https://www.adventure-inn.com/tours/ .

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

If there's any way possible, try to stay outside the city. Even if your hotel is in Alahuela (near the airport) you can save a lot of time by avoiding downtown traffic.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

For your time/things to do in San Jose, see https:/….

If possible, do not stay in the city itself. If your flight arrives late (it gets dark in CR before 6 pm), stay closer to SJO, as mentioned in an earlier post, then consider heading elsewhere, not driving back-forth to SJ city itself.

In addition to the extensive list of 1-, 2- and 3-day tours from Adventure Inn (where we stayed a couple of times) mentioned in another earlier reply:

About an HR from San Jose is waterfallgardens.com/about_peace_lodge.php .

About 30 min. away from SJO is https://toucanrescueranch.org for animal tours (or an overnight pkg).

This resort also comes up recommended on this forum for the first/last night in CR: xandari.com/costarica-xandari-overview.html .

Edited: 7:48 am, May 17, 2018
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family

Look into Irazú Volcano or Manuel Antonio National Park with Go Tours

Reply to: First Time Visitor - Tours with the Family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted