We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel In Downtown San Jose

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel In Downtown San Jose

Hello,

Looking for a hotel to stay at in Downtown San Jose. Tried Hotel Presidente (stayed there last time) but they're booked up. Can anyone recommend another hotel nearby? Price doesn't matter, it's just for one night before heading to Puerto Viejo.

Thanks

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

Yes. Try the Hotel Grano de Oro. Awesone hotel.

http://www.hotelgranodeoro.com/

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

There are well over a hundred hotels downtown priced anywhere form just $10/nt to ones priced over $100 and even more hotels than that depeng on how far out from the city center you are willing to go. You say price doesn't matter. How about location? Do you absolutely have to be in that 4-6 block region of downtown known as the Gulch or would you be just as happy in one of the nearby (and nicer) neighborhoods that are within easy walking distance of the Gulch, or just any hotel in the city? If it's just for one night before heading to Puerto Viejo, why do you need to be in the Gulch? How are you planning to get from SJ to PV? By driving on your own, by shuttle, by bus? Give us more to go on or people will just throw out whatever favorite hotel they stayed at last and you could do just as well by going through the hotel ranking available elsewhere on this site.

If you're driving your own car, you'd be better advised to stay outside of downtown so you won't have to deal with as much traffic heading into or out of SJ itself. In that case, I usually recommend the Bougainvillea just NW of town for those heading from points west (you didn't say where you were coming froom but that is the best bet) to points north such as PV. If you're taking the bus, you also don't have to be in the Gulch at all. The Caribe terminal is actually north of downtown near the Villa Tournon and Radisson and you could just as easily stay at any of the hotels on the north side of town such as the Hotel Don Carlos, Hotel Inca Real, or even the 1st 2 hotels mentioned above (just to mention a few possibilities). Those 2 are within walking distance of the Gulch by day and short cabrides of either the terminal or the Gulch (or El Pueblo) at other times. If you're taking a shuttle, they'll pick you up from ANY hotel either downtown, elsewhere in the city or even in the greater area (Escazu, Heredia, etc.). So unless there is something else about the Gulch that draws you there that you haven't mentioned, there are probably better areas to stay. A very popular higher end choice is the Grano D'Oro just off the Paseo Colon on the way into downtown. Just on the other side of the Gulch are some nice budget options that have been mentioned including Casa Tua 69 and the Aranjuez Hotel.

Give us more to work with and we won't have to just blindly throw darts at the board and hope one sticks.

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

I realized I was a little too open ended after I posted. My friend and I are flying into San Jose in the morning. He's never been to Costa Rica and felt he should at least see the capital city before we catch the bus to Puerto Viejo the next day. I stayed for a few days in San Jose once before and it was with my wife at the Presidente. Not interested in the Gulch and only vaguely sure where it is, but I liked the pedestrian section of Avenida Central and there's a couple of museums nearby.

Prolijo your posts are always informative (is that Evo as your photo?) . The Don Carlos seems like a good option.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

Hi Cellsniper,

If you really want to stay in the area of the Presidente, on the pedestrian mall part of Avenida Central, the Balmoral and the Gran Hotel Costa Rica are both there.

http://www.balmoral.co.cr/

http://www.grandhotelcostarica.com/index.jsp

Other hotels that is not that far are the Holiday Inn Aurola and Hotel Europa

http://www.hoteleuropacr.com/hotel.html

I am throwing these hotels mostly based o your specified location, not necessarily because are your best options in San Jose.

I have personally stayed in the Avenida central area and after about 8.00 PM the area gets very empty and sort of dismal.

raquel

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

Yes, that's Evo. I've been using various latin american political leaders as my icons here. hope everyone realizes I don't dress like that myself.

I think you'll like the Don Carlos. I've stayed there I think like 3 times myself. Its in a much nicer, safer and quieter neighborhood than the Presidente but still just a few blocks away. And its comparably priced at $65/nt (vs $100+ for Grano D'Oro). From there, you can easily walk to either the promenade area (including the National Theater and Gold Museum) as well as several other nearby parks and museums. In fact, the Jade Museum is just at the other end of the block from the Don Carlos, as is Parque Espana and the Edificio Metallico. OTOH, Grano D'Oro is a few blocks from Sabana Park and the CR Art Museum, but is a fairly long walk the other way to the area we're talking about where most of the downtown attractions are located. Depending on how late you get in and what the weather is like the parks or museums would be a good way to kill the few odd extra hours you'll have after your flight and getting settled at your hotel that first afternoon.

6. Re: Hotel In Downtown San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 30, 2009