We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

Maryland
4 posts
Save Topic
First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

skip the city and head straight too our destination.......If staying in SJ looking for some ideas on what to see in the city and within a couple of hours drive.........Also looking for a recommendation on a private driver to Playa Grande.........

Thanks for your help with the rest of our trip

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

I'm just leaving next week, but from what I read in the travel books, it seems that San Jose will be nice for an afternoon or something short like that. I don't think I'd spend 2 full days in SJ. We have extended our trip by 1 day to be able to visit SJ 1 afternoon and then, the next day, we are heading on a tour of Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall and Doka Coffee. Things we wanted to visit in the first place, but didn't had a chance to include it in our itinerary.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

Hello, if you are going to Costa Rica or any country in the world you will like to visit the Capital City and if you are going to do it , you will have to keep in mind... National Theater opens from 09:00 - 04:00 pm (closes on Monday) & National Museum opens from 08:30 a.m. to 04:00 pm (closes on Mondays) in each place it will take you aproximately 2 hours so you can have a nice City Tour in half a day. Instead of driving I will recommend you to hire a driver San Jose its a crazy town to drive in

Recommendation for a private transportation service contact Fabio Molina at info@arenaldestinations.com or arenaldestinations@ice.co.cr or call him at (506) 348-7351 he is a young nice man with a van used only for tourism

Hope it helps you with your trip.....

Maria

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

Maria,

Many thanks for your suggestion to use Fabio Molina in San Jose. Six of us will be flying down to board a ship next Jan and we've been looking for a dependable driver.

We'll get in touch with Fabio.

Can you recommend a nice hotel for the 3 couples in San Jose?

Thanks again,

Martita

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

Hello if you need something close to the aiport or 15 minutes away try:

For a five stars hotels try Melià Cariar Ramada Herradura or even nicer at Marriott San Jose

For 4-3 stars: Country Inn & Suites , Courtyard by Marriott, Melia Corobici

But if you need something nice but cheap try Adventure Inn (nice big rooms up to 4 people) with a/c, private bathroom nice and clean

Or try Bouganvillea Hotel about 15-20 minutes away fom San Jose

Or Orquideas Inn at Alajuela 5 minutes from the airport

Maria

Chicago
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

Get out of San Jose.... it was pretty boring and dirty except for the few souvenir places that only take a couple of hours to go to. What really bugged me is that they don't let you shop in peace...people pester you the whole time you are shopping. I would have bought more if they had just let me alone!

6. Re: First time to CR. spend 2 days in SJ or......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 07, 2009