We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

Hi all,

I am planning to be in San Jose May 5-8. There do not seem to be a lot of solo traveler hikes from San Jose so I am trying to figure out a way to get to La fortuna. I am thinking of heading out to Arenal in a rental as opposed to a public bus / shuttle to get there by 9 am

How easy is it to drive in Costa Rcia esp. the San Jose-Arenal route ? I think i won't be driving at night.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

Do not drive at night. Unless you live here driving at night is a no-no. Poor lighting, lack of signs, and most of all pedestrians and various wildlife. A lot of roads do not have side walks and also lack shoulders, this is not a good combo. Anyway, don't drive at night.

The route from San Jose to Arenal is fine, roads are in good shape last time I did it. Good driving resource here http://www.yourtravelmap.com/

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,195 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

I agree! Do not even think of driving that route at night alone. Dark roads and many hazards. First light is about 5:30 am so easy to get an early start. If you arrive the afternoon/night before, stay in Alajueala where the airport is (about 30-45 min from San Jose on a road often snarled with traffic.) Plan to have your car picked up or delivered to your lodging so you can set out early. It is a lovely drive. If you want another great place to spend a night and do some hiking/exploring on the way back, ck out the Orosi Lodge. Depending on the time of your departure flight you might easily spend your last night there. Less than an hour from SJO.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Orosi Lodge
Orosi Lodge
442 Reviews
Orosi, Costa Rica
Washington DC...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

Hey,

I am traveling solo to CR May 10-15. I have traveled several times, but this would be the first time I rented a car. I am receiving quotes for $165 in local taxes. Is this normal? Any tips on how to rent a car without all the excess taxes?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

Driving in Costa Rica is simple…just follow speed limits…driving distances…and let the others drive ….just do your best and everything is going to be OK…even if are not some time present some road signs….just follow your common sense…and do not drive to fast…

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
5. Re: solo traveler driving in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 06, 2018