We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Hi,

Myself, my wife and our 3 year old daughter will be visiting Costa Rica at the end of Dec/ beginning of Jan. We land on the 26th Dec from the UK and need to leave for Limon (Caribbean coast) on 29th Dec.

We would like to find an activity for the 27th and 28th Dec and don't know where to base ourselves and what to do. We are considering both La Paz Waterfalls and/ or Poas Volcano. I also heard that the Toucan and Sloth Rescue centre is a MUST do.

Can anybody offer any advice on where we could base ourselves for these few days and where we should visit?

Thanks

Pete

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Poas is a short jaunt from SJO airport. You should plan to visit it early in day if you do wish to go there, as it clouds over frequently by noonish. I think there is a coffee form along the route some take in on the same trip.

Poas itself is IMO worth about an hour stop.

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

We stayed at Toucan Rescue Ranch for 2 nights at the end of our trip and did a day trip to Poas and La Paz from there. You could also stay at Peace Lodge at La Paz and day trip to TRR. All are close to one another and the airport.

I personally didn't care for La Paz at all. Saw lots of tourists harassing the animals and no staff interceding. My son cried over the dead butterflies littering the ground in the butterfly house. The included buffet lunch was good though and many people seem to like it.

We loved Toucan Rescue Ranch. If you stay there, you can visit the animals whenever you want. Downside is no pool.

Edited: 12:44 pm, April 13, 2017
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

We stayed at the Toucan Rescue Ranch and really enjoyed it. It's great for a first night's stay; you get your own little casita complete with small kitchen and bathroom. There are about 150 animals on the property that are being rehabilitated and released when possible - everything from sloths to owls to otters. You get to enjoy breakfast with the baby sloths. Great for kids, no touching of course since they want to keep the animals as wild as possible. If you stay there, you might bring earplugs since the animals aren't entirely quiet at night. You can have dinner delivered if you want to; the food we had was good. The La Paz Waterfall Gardens is also really popular with families - they have an aviary you can walk through, a butterfly hatchery, and a gorgeous waterfall hike with five waterfalls; at certain times of day you can hand feed hummingbirds in the hummingbird garden. If you stay at the Peace Lodge, you can get up early and enjoy it before the tourists arrive; that's what we did. The rooms are over the top with fireplaces and waterfall showers, jacuzzi, etc. Poas is nice if you can see it, but it's very hit or miss since it's often shrouded in by fog. You look down into the volcano, and can get some great photos if the clouds part; I don't think there's much else of interest for a 3 year old there.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

I have been living about 19 km from Poas since last July.. I've been to both places and highly recommend them! Both are lots of fun!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

I know you are not travelling till winter, but have just read on another thread on this forum that Poas has been erupting yesterday and today and the trails are currently closed: posts # # 27-28 on https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982…

Edited: 12:48 pm, April 14, 2017
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

I saw that about the eruptions earlier too. Can't imagine they are too bad as I can't see a sign of it from my porch. Hoping it was just a small rumble!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

There are vidéos on social media. It was big

Canada
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Closed for the weekend now elmundo.cr/dos-erupciones-volcan-poas-lanzan…

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Wow, that's amazing - when was the last time there was an eruption?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: La Paz or Poas Volcano?

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all of your tips. We have decided to stay at Toucan Ranch for 2 nights and visit La Paz. Poas can wait - maybe next time.....

The videos of the eruption look crazy!

Thanks again

Pete