We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose in May

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
San Jose in May

I will be attending a conference at State University of Distance Education (UNED) (La Universidad Estatal a Distancia de Costa Rica) Carretera a Sabanilla, 300 meters east of la Retonda de la Betania San Pedro (a suburb of San José), Costa Rica from May 23-27.

I plan to arrive the day before and stay several days after.

The conference gave us a list of 4 places to stay at that apparently are not far. Any recommendations on the places or other places that are near the conference? Also, any recommendations on where to go and stay and do on the days I am staying after the conference?

Here's the list:

Hostel Bekuo—www.hostelbekuo.com

Tel. 506 234-1091

325 meters west of Spoon, Los Yoses, San José

Apartotel Los Yoses—www.Apartotel.com

Tel. 506 225-0033

Barrio Los Yoses, San José

Hostel Costa Rica Casa Yoses—www.casayoses.com

Tel. 506 234-5486

250 meters west of Spoon, Los Yoses, San José

Kabata Hostel—www.kabatahostel.com

Tel. 506 283-2000

San Pedro, del Banco Nacional, go 200 meters east, 100 meters south and 25 meters wes

What is the best airport to come into and any airlines that have prices that are lower?

Also, what is the weather like at that time of the year?

Thank you!

Rhonda

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose in May

come into the airport in SJo , Juan Santa Maria , its 20 minutes outside of town , the Apartel Los yoses is nice ,

the weather is nice in the nmorning , than rain for acouple hours at 2 PM ,

what is your conference on ?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose in May

Rhonda,

What is your budget like? Is it just you or will you be traveling with someone else? The reason I ask is that all those places listed are hostels except for the Apartotel Los Yoses (which I'd categorize as a fairly standard moderately-priced hotel but with some discounts for extended stays or a week or more). A hostel will run about $10 for a dorm room or a private single room will be $15-20. The Apartotel is more like 3-4 times any of the other alternatives you listed. Personally, the Apartotel Los Yoses has a decent rep but, IMHO, the rooms I've seen there did not overly impress me. Still if you've got the money and want a more standard type hotel that is also reasonably close to your conference that is about as good as any in that price range on that side of town.

All of those places except Karabata are located in Los Yoses which is actually west of San Pedro heading into downtown SJ. Kabata is practically in the heart of San Pedro (just a block or 2 from where I stayed when I was there) SE of the San Pedro Church and across the street from Restaurante Il Pomodoro 2 (highly recommended pizza place). Some other after conference hour places to hit in that same neighborhood are the Jazz Cafe and the student bars of Calle Amargura. Sabanilla is actually located to the north (and slightly east) of San Pedro (on the other side of UCR). You'll still have to catch a bus (or cab) from any of the places you've mentioned to get there. Unfortunately, as relatively rare are hotels on that end of downtown, I can't think of any that are any closer to Sabanilla.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose in May

Hola - how cool that you´ll be visiting CR. I frequent San Pedro often for the quality of the merecumbe dance classes and the weather here right now is mild in the morning, about 70 degrees on average, then in the afternoon w. the sun overhead it could get really hot, but normally not more than 85. then in the evenings i find i´m wearing a lot of sweaters lately. like 60. it could get pretty cool. it´s also usually breezy throughout the day, so as long as you´re under a shade the weather is pretty comfy.

hope you like CR! safe travels.

4. Re: San Jose in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 20, 2009