We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor to CR

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time visitor to CR

I am making my first visit to Costa Rica. Backpacking at the end of March for 6-8 weeks. I have gathered all my information from reading and am most concerned with the bus routes and the hostels. Please review and reply with comments on any information that is incorrect and any hostel that you would or would not recommend. I also read that many used credit cards and found out when their bill came that the merchant charged a cc fee and didn’t tell them. Is this true all over CR or just some merchants? Also, any rhyme or reason for who charges 13% tax and who doesn’t? I’m also interested in the bull fights, so to speak, but haven’t found a lot about them and what I have found is not during the time I will be there. Here goes. Appreciate all responses.

–Travel to Alajuela a/p, get currency, bus drop San Jose ave 2 Calle 12&14, on to Turrialba

-Bank booth – upstairs on departure level close to p/p stamp area. Rtn same as banks.

-Tuasa public bus (RED) – exit a/p toward parking garage, turn L & stop at street, turn R, station 20mtrs. Say San Jose. Fair $1. Or 555 colones. SJ to A/P calle 12&14 ave 2, 35min/16mil. Taxi to Translusa ave 6 calle 13.

-bus direct from SJ to Turr Transtusa daily 8-8 every hr on calle 13 ave 6&8. 42ml c1215/$2.18. 2 ½ hrs.

arrive in Turrialba: raft Pacure river & stay the night.

-HOSTELS (3) 1.h/w Spanish by the River 9.4r, outskirts of town 2.5mil (language school) offers Pacuare river trips $85. $12.12/mix, wash, sdbox, wifi, no towels, cc. In 11 out 11. ____ *2. h/w Casa de Lis 9.9r 5* tripad, ave central, S of Banco, next to ICE. $14.10/mix,wash,linen,wifi,locker, sdbox,cc, no times

Pacuare River Whitewater Rafting pg81&191 1 day trip thru forests & gorges ch4. Class 2 3&4s. Tico’s River Adventures $80. Pickup 8:30 rtn 3pm. 1hr going & 1hr rtn trip. 18m raft trip 4 hrs. Lunch by 2 waterfalls. Email Tico-drive 45min n, put-in Tres Equis river, 18mil/4hrs, take-out Siquirres, 1hr drive bk $80.

Bus: Turrialba to Cartago Transtusa 1.2hrs. Cartago to Dom 4.15hrs pick-up 8:45 (change 2x) Musoc & Transportes Blanco goes to Cartago, El Tejas, San Isidro, Dom.)

Bus:: Back to Cartago early. C if can do Irazu? Then back to SJ. Taxi toTracopa terminal cal3 & cent ave.

? ? I’M WANTING TO DO IRAZI AND OROSI WHILE GOING BACK THROUGH CARTEGO, IS THIS POSSIBLE? IF SO, IS IT POSSIBLE TO CATCH A BUS AROUND CARTAGO TO DOMINICAL OR MUST I GO BACK TO SAN JOSE ? ?

1. Re: First time visitor to CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 01, 2018