We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car?

Boston...
Level Contributor
103 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to rent a car?

We are thinking of winding down our vacation with a week here -- somewhere in Quepos and/or near Manuel Antonio. Possibly a vacation rental house, rather than hotel, though undecided. Can we (family of 4) make do without a car? Hate to have one just sitting there for a week if we can easily get around on foot, taxi, and bus...

Thank you!

Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I personally have been to the Manuel antonio area 3 times and never felt the need to have a rental car .... Depending where you stay alot of the restaurants in this area are within walking distance and at the very least a short cab ride .... and the cabs are readily available .... most rides are 6 to 10 dollars . I'm sure more replies will come in soon ........... enjoy your trip !

Edited: 2:27 pm, February 04, 2014
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

The Quepos/Manuel Antonio area is one of the most convenient areas to get around without a car. There are buses, and taxis constantly running along the road from Quepos to the Manuel Antonio National Park and beaches.

As far as house rentals, the best locations are off the road between Quepos and the Manuel Antonio National Park. In my opinion, the closer to the park/beach the better.

The best place to start looking for house rentals is at: http://www.vrbo.com

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

You can definitely get by without a car. Buses and taxis are easily available and depending on where you stay, there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. All of the tours provide transportation in their costs which makes a big difference. My family stayed at Tulemar in Manuel Antonio and LOVED it. They have big and small vacation villas and are very centrally located. Enjoy Costa Rica--it is paradise!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I'm a NO vote on the car rental. However, be VERY careful when you choose a rental esp. some of the home rentals can be well off the main road. As suggested, do some research and get a realistic idea of where the rental is actually located. You can always repost here with a list of possible options in the event someone has personal knowledge of the specific property. Also be aware that the road from Quepos to MA Park is winding and mountainous. Inquire as to the number of steps to access the rental if stairs are an issue. Lots of great rentals/condos/homes etc. in the area. I'm confident you'll find the perfect fit for you and your family!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I agree with everyone above.....less than half of our guests have a rental car......buses and taxis are easy......most of the tours will pick you up.....right at your villa.....and depending on where you rent.....there may be restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance.

Tulemar Dave

Quepos, Costa Rica
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Anyone traveling to Costa Rica should be aware that the price quoted by all car rental companies here does not include an exorbitant liability insurance you are forced to buy. For instance, for a 1-month rental, we had to pay almost $900 (quoted at 3 different rental companies) for a minivan. That is what I pay for 9 months of full car insurance in the US. This will be my first and last trip to Costa Rica.

7. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 09, 2015