We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

We are considering a catamaran/snorkeling tour during our stay near Manuel Antonio National Park. Has anyone had any experience on one of these tours? Would you recommend it? Do some of the tour operators have smaller boats, if so, which ones? How is the snorkeling? Any information to help us decide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio National Park
Manuel Antonio National...
979 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
sutton, quebec
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

I am a frequent visitor to MA and often see these tours leave the marina in Quepos. I believe it will cost $50-60, they seem to take you close to Biesantz Beach and anchor to let you swim and snorkel. I have done this from the beach by renting a kayak for $10 for a couple of hours. You can leave your knapsack with the gentleman who oversees the rentals, very safe no worry of theft there!. The snorkeling isn't great. The swimming at this beach is amongst the finest, no big surf or rip tides! Bring a light snack and enjoy your day without great expense. They often don't sail their catamaran - they motor. The winds aren't ideal for sailing so close to shore.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Southampton...
Level Contributor
90 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

We were just there last week and went with Planet Dolphin http://www.planetdolphin.com/. It was a great trip -- friendly people running the boat, good drinks, dinner too (grilled salmon shish-ke-bob). As said above, the snorkeling isn't so great (when compared to some other places like in the Carribbean islands) but we did see many fish, and given all the people on board, the distribution of snorkeling gear and all that was pretty efficient. They had a big water slide too which many enjoyed (not me....!).

We were lucky enough to have dolphins swimming along with us for a while, too!

Mentioned in this post
Planet Dolphin
Planet Dolphin
360 Reviews
Quepos, Costa Rica
Madison
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

I second Planet Dolphin. We had a really good time. It was raining when it started and they were all about keeping the good times rolling. Sun came out and the snorkeling was alot of fun. You can check my review on it for more info.

MadmanWI

Mentioned in this post
Planet Dolphin
Planet Dolphin
360 Reviews
Quepos, Costa Rica
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
688 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

We went on a trimaran with Sunset Sails during our stay in January. We really enjoyed it. The staff were extremely friendly and funny. We saw dolphins swimming next to the boat. The food was delicious and plentiful (some folks got two complete meals and many people got seconds of fish) There were only about 30 people on our tour. My husband snorkeled and thought it was okay, but others said it wasn't very good, but all the tours go to the same place to snorkel so I jut think the snorkeling is not good in general. We went on the sunset sail and it was gorgeous!! I would highly recommend them.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Leaving in two days...

6. Re: Catamaran/Snorkeling Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 18, 2013