We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan birding tour Dec 3-12 what to pack?

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent WA
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Topic
Caravan birding tour Dec 3-12 what to pack?

My wife and I are taking a birding tour with Caravan Tours in early December. We have not visited CR in 40 years and would appreciate tips from recent travelers on what to pack and what to leave home. My wife is diabetic but we travel alot any tips that could help her?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan birding tour Dec 3-12 what to pack?

Not sure what a birding tour entails or what your accomodations will be, buy Id pack anything youd pack for a tropical vacation. Comfortable clothes, shoes, sunglasses, etc. I find that most towns have things youll need at the pharmacy like sunscreen, insect repellent, etc.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan birding tour Dec 3-12 what to pack?

Leave home dress clothes, unless you're planning a stay out at the 4 seasons. Do bring a flashlight each, and depending on where you're staying, bring your own toiletries, though most places have shampoo and the little slivers of bad soap. The better, but not real up scale, have whatever you'll need. The usual medical stuff, including triple antibiotic ointment and waterproof bandages. Get some of the special ones for blisters for your feet if you plan to hike. Also some After-Bite helps for the mosquito and no-see-um bites. We had few of the former, but a fair number of the latter.

Depending on where you're birding, I'd suggest long-sleeved shirts made from a Cool Max fabric and get the ones with the insect repellent in the fabric. I did, and it works well. For your feet, sturdy, well broken in walking shoes and a good pair of hiking sandels, like Keenes. I took one other pair for evenings, but they aren't essential. If your spending time in the rainforest area, be aware anything you wash out may not dry overnight. My heavy hiking socks never dried, but I brought enough for the trip.

You don't say if your wife is insulin dependent. If so, I'm sure you know to bring an insulated bag or thermos device and arrange for ice each day. Tap water is fine in most of the tourst areas, so I wouldn't worry about the ice. I found most of the 'deluxe' rooms at even the moderate places had a fridg, so that should help. Want to check? If you have your hotel names, go to VacationCity.com and check the room descriptions. My friends took basic rooms and usualy didn't have fridges, mine did. Price difference was pretty minimal.

Make sure your tetnus is up to date and get at least one round of Hep A soon, unless you've done that already.

Food is a bit heavy on carbs and fresh fruit at most meals and a bit short on veggies. Beef is readily available and it's pretty good and salads are as well. Fish and chicken are also menu staples, but pork and lamb don't show up. I had trouble finding artificial sweetner outside SJ and 1 or 2 upscale places, so bring some yourself. Also bring some diabetic candy and maybe some low sugar protien bars for snacks. Sugar is used in everything!!!

The little supermarkets have a lot of American and EU snacks and stuff, but again, heavy on carbs and candied dried fruit. Off and other stuff is there, but you'll find the wipes a handy thing to carry and I didn't see them. The no-see-ums attack suddenly, so we were really glad to have them with all the outdoor dining there.

3. Re: Caravan birding tour Dec 3-12 what to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:59 am, October 13, 2005