We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for short drives from Puntarenas to good surf.

SAN DIEGO, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Looking for short drives from Puntarenas to good surf.

My husband and I are visiting Puntarenas at the beginning of October (I know, the green season), and we're staying at the Fiesta Resort. I figured that way I could get my "resort" features and my husband could get is longboarding in at Boca Barranca, but I'm reading reviews that say the beaches in Puntarenas might not be the best and to watch out for Crocs!

Does anyone have any advise on good longboard breaks to visit, that might also provide me with some swimmable (?) beaches that aren't more than maybe 2 hours away? We're renting a 4x4, so we'll have our own transportation and we're not afraid of an adventure. Ultimately it would be nice to drive to a beach and spend the day and find a little off the all place to get a bite to eat.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for short drives from Puntarenas to good surf.

Your husband is going to be a very happy camper as there are many, many good breaks nearby. This site should give you the info you seek:

wannasurf.com/spot/…index.html

Gainesville, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for short drives from Puntarenas to good surf.

Hello!

We stayed at the Hotel Delfin Beachfront in Playa Bejuco which is south of Jaco and north of Parrita.

www.delfinbeachfront.com

The beach had great surfing and was very swimmable and the hotel is right next to the beach.

It was a nice contrast to Jaco which can be a little touristy at times.

This was one of the most secluded beaches anywhere. There is the hotel, which has a bar/restaurant, and a few (10 or 12) small houses and that is it!

You could walk for miles in either direction and not see anyone else on the beach!

Just inland from the beach and behind the hotel is a protected estuary with some trails we explored at low tide.

We also went to Playa Palma, a few minutes drived south. It was beautiful, too, but I do not know about the surfing there.

We are already planning to go back to Costa Rica and Playa Bejuco soon!

Hope this helps!

3. Re: Looking for short drives from Puntarenas to good surf.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 12, 2009