We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Hello All!

I am with mixed group of between 4 and 8 people (some undecided) going to Costa Rica this November 14-22. We are as of yet undecided on where to go but have pretty much settled on somewhere in the Central coast. We are flying into San Jose and like the easier drive plus it sounds pretty fun too.

What we do not know is exactly where to stay. We are trying to spend under $200 per person for the eight days and would like a house on a beach and so far all we have found is one in Esterillos Oeste and one in Playa Hermosa (by the Alemendro tree) We were also looking in Manuel Antonio but couldnt find anything in the price range. We are all pretty much beginners (having surfed in NC for a few years on fun boards) and would like somewhere where we could have fun in some pretty big surf, at times, to step our game up. We would also like some decent nightlife nearby, if possible.

We would like a nice beach/sand bar break like would be very consistent (like those head high beauties you see in the movies rolling in at set intervals). What would be best in NOVEMBER??? I have heard mixed things about this area during this time of year (is it dry or green?) and so on. Also, if you reccomend somewhere outside of the Central coast, that's cool too.

That's a whole lot, I know. Thank you!!!

Gray

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Outside of the Central Coast, just north is Tamarindo Beach. It is the most popular place in all of Costa Rica for learning to surf featuring many local surf shops and places to stay. Its long sandy beach has many sandbars and a few point breaks.

In addition to the many breaks, you can catch surf shuttle vans to another dozen nearby locations, or even splurge and take a boat ride to Witch's Rock or Ollie's Point.

Tamarindo is the largest of the small beach towns on the northwestern coast of Tamarindo and has many places bars and restaurants. Not as large a place as Manuel Antonio, visiting is more of a community-style, surf vacation.

November is the beginning of high-season. To keep your expenses down, I recommend visiting the beginning of November.

Here is a link to a page with a few inexpensive places:

trav.com/Properties/Costa%20Rica/Tamarindo

For an orientation to the surfing and neighborhood

tamarindocosta-rica.com/activities/surfing.h…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

If you found somenthing that fit your budget...go for...Esterillos is ok...but no great for surfing...if you found somenthing else in Playa Hermosa...go fo it...it is a great beach and good for surfers...it is surfers PARADISE!

It is GREEN very green!

Also the Caribbean...but is a little more driving time...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Thank you for everyone's responses! It sounds like the area between Jaco and Manuel Antonio will be a good place to stay this November with some good waves. Any advice on where the best breaks are this time of year, etc? Is it all pretty buggy?

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Have you considered Nicaragua? It's certainly more affordable and San Juan del Sur has great surf and nightlight.. Best of luck, Dan

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

Okay... so here is my review. We went down in mid November for a week and stayed in Playa Hermosa. We had a group of four and stayed in the bungalows there, which were very nice. My review of Hermosa is that is is awesome but it was kind of dead down there. I wish it had just been my girlfriend and me because it would have been nice and romantic because Hermosa is truly Beautiful. The waves were only big one day and were less than what I was expecting from seeing costa rican surf videos so that was a bit of a dissapointment. If I had it to do over again I would probably just stop in Manuel Antonio for 3 nights, Playa Hermosa for 3 nights and Arenal for 2 nights... since there isnt a whole lot to do (going out wise), it would have made the trip more fun. I will definitely return to Playa Hermosa, just at a different time and different circumstances.

6. Re: Best Beach in November for Beginner Surfers in mid 20's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 04, 2010